Sign in to follow this  
Koen VB

Making window procedure a class member

Koen VB    133
I'm making a class that encapsulates a window. Now I want to make the window procedure a class member, like this: class CWindow { ... LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND HWindow, UINT Msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam); } This function is used during the creation of the window class. WinClass.lpfnWndProc = (WNDPROC)WndProc; This results in the following error message: Error E2235: Member function must be called or its address taken in function CWindow::CWindow(...) One thing I tried was making the WndProc function static. This worked, but the problem was that you could no longer access non-static members of the class, while I really need access to them. Is there a way to use a member function of a class as a window procedure without making it static?

SiCrane    11839
You can't assign a pointer to a non-static member function to a pointer to a normal function. The usual method to handle this is to assign a static or normal function to the windows procedure and use GetWindowLong() or GetWindowLongPtr() to a pointer from the GWL_USERDATA of the windows class. See this article for more details.