OpenGL Game Programming & Borland Free CLC v5.5

Started by
1 comment, last by SigSeg 18 years, 5 months ago
Raging through the tutorial using Borland's free compiler for windows until one day I came across page 180 in Kevin Astle's book: OpenGL Game Programming. It was a lingering twilight, my desk covered in notes and papers, occasionally being upset by the slight breeze blowing in from the cracked window in my apartment. My fingers moving slowly as I was ready to call it a night, I sipped out of my tea cup and began to type: "bcc32 -tW ch6sphere.cpp" and lo! Error. Appears glaux.lib/glaux.h are required to create spheres. I looked in \bcc55\lib\* and saw that glaux had called in sick. After scowering the internet for the necessary file, I found it but wait.. it was not compatible with Borland's compiler. So I found the glaux source and compiled it, and lo! Many many errors that are out of my skill to heal. I got the error count down from 40 to 10 but After spending several hours going through the headers and tinkering I found that it was beyond my meak aid and needed the skill of a professional. OK OK... basically, I've spent another hour messing with this trying to get the glaux library compiled so I can compile the tutorial code. As I am still an amateur with OpenGL, writing my own sphere code and what not is out of the question right now. I've read that glaux is deprecated, like so many things, however, I must have it! Buying VCC++ is out of the question right now despite it being the recommended compiler for this book, please, borland fans abroad, I know you might be able to help. I've searched for related articles in this forum as it's improbable that I am the first of my kind with this issue and did find another one with the issue, someone aided him but like glaux, his link is deprecated and can no longer help me. SO that having been said, I do not speak russian and 9/10 the links on google are russian... I will continue doing what I can do while I await aid, but if someone is able to help, let me know. SigSeg
ERROR (1) SIGSEG RECIEVED
Advertisement
To draw spheres easily you can use the GLU, more specifically the glu quadric functions. You need to include gl/glu.h and import the glu32.lib library. GLaux is old and deprecated, try to steer away from using it.
Good, I was thinking glu was something else, didn't know it was glaux replacement too.

OK:

removed glaux from list of include files,
added to global variables: GLUquadric *quad;
added to Render(): quad = gluNewQuadric();
in place of glAuxSphere(1.0), used: gluSphere(quad, 1.0, 20, 20);

I have a sphere. :D

Thank you for your help!

SigSeg
ERROR (1) SIGSEG RECIEVED

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement