Sign in to follow this  

Byte length and portability

My goal is to always write programs as portably as possible. Something that has begun to bother me is that I often find myself assuming a byte is (at least) eight bits long. I have heard there are platforms where this isn't true but have never seen anyone mention examples. My question is: is it reasonable to assume that my program will never have to run on such a machine? Something else I find odd is that the inttypes.h and stdint.h headers in C99 define integer types whose sizes are multiples of 8. Does C99, then, assume an 8-bit byte? A slightly related question: how do the various programming language standards (most interestingly the ones of managed/"safe" languages) define what happens when an integer overflows? Is it reasonable to assume that it will just wrap around on all modern and future platforms?

Here's a succinct overview: Byte. Older computers used 6, 7 and 9 bit bytes but 8 bit bytes have become the defacto standard. As the article points out, Java defines a byte as 8 bits, so that should give you an indication of what kind of portability you can get with 8 bit bytes. I don't have a copy of the C99 standard on this PC. I'll have to look it up on my other PC and get back to you.

// edit - here's a link to a late draft version of the C99 spec: n869.pdf (1,372 kb).

Quote:

byte
addressable unit of data storage large enough to hold any member of the basic character set of the execution environment
2 NOTE 1 It is possible to express the address of each individual byte of an object uniquely.
3 NOTE 2 A byte is composed of a contiguous sequence of bits, the number of which is implementationdefined. The least significant bit is called the low-order bit; the most significant bit is called the high-order
bit.

Quote:

5.2.4.2.1 Sizes of integer types <limits.h>

— number of bits for smallest object that is not a bit-field (byte)
CHAR_BIT 8
— minimum value for an object of type signed char
SCHAR_MIN -127 // -(27 - 1)
— maximum value for an object of type signed char
SCHAR_MAX +127 // 27 - 1
— maximum value for an object of type unsigned char
UCHAR_MAX 255 // 28 - 1
— minimum value for an object of type char
CHAR_MIN see below
— maximum value for an object of type char
CHAR_MAX see below
2 If the value of an object of type char is treated as a signed integer when used in an expression, the value of CHAR_MIN shall be the same as that of SCHAR_MIN and the value of CHAR_MAX shall be the same as that of SCHAR_MAX. Otherwise, the value of CHAR_MIN shall be 0 and the value of CHAR_MAX shall be the same as that of UCHAR_MAX.13) The value UCHAR_MAX+1 shall equal 2 raised to the power CHAR_BIT.

HHH

On a related question, the behaviour of one's complement machines gets mentioned here occasionally. Now I understand how one's complement works, but are there any modern processors that use it?

With regards to LessBread's post, those limits are minimums. A byte can be more than eight bits, the minimum value of a signed character can be less than -127 and is often -128, and so on.