Sign in to follow this  
Encicra

Comicdev: Comics Section Added!

!---PROMO---! Through our site you can get FREE collector Zoom Suit Cards! Check it out! The project: -The project is a webiste called Comicdev. It is what it appears to be, a comic development site. There aren’t many of these types of pages on the internet, that I have come across anyway, so I feel that this could be a good project to start up. About Comicdev: -Everyone has their favorite hero’s and favorite funnies in the paper and everyone has also come up with an idea that they feel would be a great comic. What I am trying to create is a place for people with similar interests to come together and start their own projects online.The internet it is only starting to become a fragment of what it is going to be in the not so distant future. So, now is the time to get your ideas up and out into the world. Who knows what will happen? People might actually like what you have to share. This site is for comics/animations of all types, styles and all sorts of genres. Comicdev Current Status: -We have made a basic HTML front page for Comicdev. This is only the start of what is to come. In the near future new features will be added which will include: Interviews, News, and Tutorials. If you have any suggestions please let me know, preferably in the the suggestions part of the Comicdev forums. Thanks. Other Information: It may take a fair amount of time to get these forums going but I think they will be a possitive and possibly long awaited addition to the net. My goals for my site is to be much like this one which has plus members and is actually a selling point for books and such about comics. I would also like to set up, all these things are for a main page of course, a jobs section where companies can post jobs for artists and writers etc. I know that lots of people would love to have their own comic, so why not make on the net and showcase it on the net. This isn't just some hobbie to me but at the moment I can't put all the energy toward it that I would like to do to school and getting ready to move in the short future. I look at this site as somthing to be 100% complete in say 3-4 years. I don't expect it just to pop up and be huge overnight. Link: Http://www.comicdev.com News: [Dec.28/05] Well we finally began adding comics to the site. At the moment we are linked up to one of our own comics called PE Comics, which is basiclly my attempt at learning how to use photopaint before starting my main comic and we are also linked up to Boolean's comic "Guy and Penguin". The plan here is for new/old webcomic creators will submit their sites to comicdev to be added to the comic list. [Dec.13/05] Today we added a page and a half article on the basic parts of a heroic story. [Dec.06/05] Through our site you can get FREE collector Zoom Suit Cards! Check it out! [Dec.04/05] We are now a .com site! Http://www.comicdev.com [Edited by - Encicra on December 28, 2005 2:11:12 AM]

Well, here's the thing. I'm sure there are peeps on here that like comics, but this is a game development site, so it might not be the best place for feed back on a comic book website.

That being said, I can give you some generic feed back [wink]
- Cut the forums down to like 3 or 4 and only expand when they get too crowded
- Try to find a niche. The idea of ComicDev in general might be totally new, but you may need something else. Like I heard someone talking about creating a new game dev-esque site on here the other day, and they were talking about how they are going to have free hosting for members' games. That's something that will draw people in.

Anyway, best of luck! Keep at it and I'm sure it'll grow!
Matt

The reason I posted here is because I spend a fair amount of time on these forums plus I think the idea of making a comic itself would draw in Writers and Artists. Many comics become well thought out stories for games. I kinda see the two things walking hand and hand in a way.

The total absence of resources is the biggest problem. If you had a brief introduction into comics as a medium (nothing on the scale of Understanding Comics, just outline things like panels, thought and speech bubbles, narrator headings and layout), a list of free and/or affordable tools - digital and traditional - and links to comics on the web and art tutorials, you'd provide a lot more context for visitors. As it is, the site is pretty ambiguous, which makes it difficult to start any discussion.

You need content. Even something as simple as interviewing various well-known comic artists on their thoughts about the art form, the effects of the internet as a distribution/publication medium on it and prospects for the future would do a lot for you.

Good luck with ComicsDev.

I welcome anyone who feels they can contribute to write up a tutorial on a part of comic making. What I want this site to be is community by comic lovers for comic creators. This site is in very early stages and like it says in a previous post it lacks content.

[Edited by - Encicra on November 18, 2005 1:50:02 PM]

Getting the site it's own domain name would certainly help, it helps to establish a real identity for the site, and allows people to easier return to the site if they've previously visited but not created a bookmark.

You could also try cutting down the number of forums until you've got a bit more traffic, creating the illusion that the place it busier than it is.

Have you tried contacting Boolean? He might be willing to make a few posts about his experiences from the GDNet comic. You could also try contacting the authors of popular online comics such as Ctrl-Alt-Del, Penny Arcade and VG Cats, and see if they're interested in doing interviews or providing you with any content. If you're lucky you may even be able to get a mention on thier site, which would certainly draw in some traffic, although they're unlikely to bother mentioning ComicDev until you have some more actual content - consider Oluseyi's advice.

Ok, I got it a temp link at dot.tk and linked the forums to that.

Http://Comicdev.tk

Here is what i'm trying to do. For some reason whenever I do somthing I feel the need to start right at the bottom of the ladder. If I can't get something going on the basics then it really shouldn't be made. That is the way I look at it. If these forums and mainpage, which keeping in theme would be geocities, happen to start drawing attention then I have full intentions of upgrading everything to do with ComicDev and Encicra Gaming.

Note to Kazgoroth: Lol the post just to post was just a joke. You people will get used to my humor. In time lol.

[Edited by - Encicra on November 26, 2005 3:58:57 PM]

Heh, looks like you've got your first potential problem user, although it is of course entirely up to you what sort of atmosphere you want created on your forums. I think you'll find keeping the conversational level a little higher than his post in here will probably attract a better crowd in the long run though.

Oh, and no worries about that post - we don't mind the occasional little joke, as long as it isn't taken too far. [smile]

Yes, I am going to be adding words to the filter very soon. I want to keep it a clean enviroment where anyone can come in and not be offended. What that post did give me though was the idea for a future rant/debate forum about differnt comics. It would help to get people talking that is for sure.

It may take a fair amount of time to get these forums going but I think they will be a possitive and possibly long awaited addition to the net. My goals for my site is to be much like this one which has plus members and is actually a selling point for books and such about comics. I would also like to set up, all these things are for a main page of course, a jobs section where companies can post jobs for artists and writers etc. I know that lots of people would love to have their own comic, so why not make on the net and showcase it on the net.

This isn't just some hobbie to me but at the moment I can't put all the energy toward it that I would like to do to school and getting ready to move in the short future. I look at this site as somthing to be 100% complete in say 3-4 years. I don't expect it just to pop up and be huge overnight.

What I am going be doing is opening up a part of my forums to Animation of any type eg. Cartoons or anything you can come up with. The reason for this is because the comic section of the forums is attracting the same people for certain parts of animation. So why not kill two birds with one stone.

The reason for Comicdev.tk is not just to make these differnt types of things but to make people realize that the internet is still a very new and misunderstood part of media. It is only the beginning so what better time to get your projects up and exposed to the public so that they can stand a chance at acknowledgement which in turn lets your projects/dreams grow.

Big news for ComicDev.

When you go to the site the Http://www.omicdev.com the url goes to our new mainpage! It is only a start though and is literally in the most basic of basic HTML. I know this because it is my first attempt ever at HTML but it is a working site non-the-less and this is a big step in the creation of a flourishing Comicdev.

More about how the site is going to work can be found on the site. Lol its nice to be able to say that.

[Edited by - Encicra on December 12, 2005 12:34:09 AM]

The site is soon be geocities popup ad free! I have had two offers for free hosting, unfortunalty there will still be the tk ads. The site just seems to be falling into place. This means that a .com extention will be in the near future to fully clear up the pop ups and also to make a more professional site feel.

If you are interested in comic or animation development and feel you could contribute, you can donate an original tutorial on any part of either of those two processes. You would be given full credit for your work. Thanks.

I added a news page. Not much news yet but it's just for easy viewing of the thing that are happening with Comicdev. The first tutorial that will be added to the site is going to be about "lines in comics." I hope to have it up in at least a week at most two. There will be more coming after that.

Once again if anyone out there wants to submit a tutorial that you wrote yourself or have permission to submit it would be great. What im trying to create is not just content from the site creators but also from the community.

Sign in to follow this