Sign in to follow this  
manolopm

Camera move like an aeroplane

manolopm    122
Hi: I'm trying to do "something" that makes my camera move from A point to B point with the point of view Apv and Bpv,moving like an aeroplane (I mean... you look forward, were you'll be in the next "second"). I've tried with splines and Hermite curves but It gives me very closed turns. Any Idea? Suggestions? Url? Something? Thanks in advance

pants    147
often times using the tangent of a spline wont' be sufficient. I've had good results from sampling the spline twice: once with the current camera position and one with the look at position. The lookat position will likely be a set distance or iteration step along the spline.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Another possibility would be to take the tangent one step further.

From my Calculus days in College, it has been awhile, but I remember joining several linear equations together trying to find the best transition between many sets of data points. I had to find the equation between the 2 lines then find the equation of the tanget lines so that the endpoints had the same slope. This worked Ok, but when I made the tangents of the tangents (a.k.a second derivative) match it was an entirely different ballgame. That curve looked like it actually was one function when it was graphed instead of a group of lines segments.

I do not know if this will solve your problem but it is worth a try.

Plus how far down the path are you looking... Wouldn't you just make your target coordinate being an "inch" in front of you instead of a second ... it should give you the correct direction that you want.