• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Deathscythe_HC

OpenGL OpenGL rendering context

This topic is 4625 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if multiple rendering context can share data between each other. Let me explain this with a simple example: let say you create a main window with one child window. Each of these windows have their own rendering context. The set the main window rendering context as the current one and you create display lists, register textures or issue other non-rendering commands. Will you be able, when you set the child window rendering context, to call the display list or use a texture defined within the main window rendering context? I do not know how the VRAM memory is shared between different context on the same display adapter. Hence the question. Thanks!

Advertisement
yes, its possible, on windows you'll want to look at the wglShareLists() function on MSDN.

There is a way todo it on X-windows as well, you have to specify the context to share with when you create the new context.

Quote:
Original post by Deathscythe_HC
Cool. But concerning textures, can these be shared between multiple contexts?

Yes, a texture declared in one context will be available to the others, after sharing is enabled as phantom outlined above.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!