High quality artwork

Started by
7 comments, last by Klora Jardi 18 years, 5 months ago
I've recently graduated college and have a job that pays well. I've always been interested in game development and I've made a few 3D engines before. I've familiar with many advanced graphics techniques and I'd like to make a demo showcasing what I know. The problem is, I'm terrible at modelling. What I'm looking for is professional quality artwork of a small area for my demo. Where is a good place to turn for extremely detailed art? How much should I expect to pay? What sort of information do I need to be prepared to give an artist? Thanks for your time!
Advertisement
I'm very confused atm, you're "familiar with many advanced graphics techniques" yet you're "I'm terrible at modelling"....?
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Just becuase I know some asian people doesn't make my name Jet Li.
Quote:I'm very confused atm, you're "familiar with many advanced graphics techniques" yet you're "I'm terrible at modelling"....?

Yeah, I know the algorithms, but not how to go about getting the art. It's one thing to write shaders, it's quite another to make models. 3D Studio Max isn't an easy program to know. I don't imagine most graphics programmers are spectacular at modelling, it requires a different skill set. Some additional questions I have:
1) Would a professional art house work on a small scale project like this or only freelance artists?
2) Where do I find professional art houses/freelance 3D artists? Google hasn't been helpful.
3) Is it reasonable to expect an artist to provide normal/height maps?
Plan out exactly what you need, how you need it, and when you need it (x concept drawings for x models in format x of x polycount and x texture resolution with x texture maps -- normal, bump, specular, illumination, opacity, etc -- minus the concepts if you've got something good enough to go off of already, at date x. Add in x animations if it applies.)

There's a Paid Job Postings section here, which is a good place to find some talented artists who may be willing to pick up some small contracts. Any professional artist there will have a portfolio up to prove his worth, and if you decide amateur is good enough you can find lots of them there as well.
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
posting in help wanted might net you something too, could I get some more info on this, I might be able to help (depends on how big an area, etc...)
Excellent, thank you LockePick. jellywerker, I'd love to send you more information on this, can I get your email address? The demo area would not be large, I'm mainly looking for a small building, and perhaps some statues or other filler objects.
Also another really good place to look for the best of the best 3d artists would proly be cgtalk.com I am sure if your willing to pay a bit of cash you will find some really talanted folks willing to help.
Depending on what style of game you want, this guy is excellent, did great work on my game.
http://radcore.angelcities.com/
I highly suggest checking the demoreels out. He does everything from concept to modeling to animations. I believe his rates are posted as well.
-Lost Little Girl in Gamedev (LLGG)---------------------------------------------Insert Soulless Corporate Logo HERE. I am Dread Pirate Roberts(TM) #17603. Please ask about franchise opportunities in your area!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement