NPC Comments

Started by
29 comments, last by Iron Chef Carnage 18 years, 5 months ago
Yeah, if every infantryman has the firepower to defeat a tank, then they're out of the question. In certain times the weapons of the age could defeat the armor of the age, and in other times the opposite was true. So if the newly developed man-portable gauss gun that easily pierces tank armor was to be issued to every soldier, then tanks would quickly become unfashionable.
Against artillery you can have technology that instantly calculate and detect the source of an incoming shell, allowing your own artillery to respond within ten seconds. Something along those lines already exists, right?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Kekko
Yeah, if every infantryman has the firepower to defeat a tank, then they're out of the question. In certain times the weapons of the age could defeat the armor of the age, and in other times the opposite was true. So if the newly developed man-portable gauss gun that easily pierces tank armor was to be issued to every soldier, then tanks would quickly become unfashionable.
Against artillery you can have technology that instantly calculate and detect the source of an incoming shell, allowing your own artillery to respond within ten seconds. Something along those lines already exists, right?

Or for artiliary just have it so there are countermeasures set up to take care of incoming artillary, if you could destroy the shell before it reachs where it is suposed to go, or even make it explode over enemy troops then artillary and other forms of arial attack become counter-productive and not cost effective.
http://www.elddir.com/?url=portfolio
Make them say FUBAR alot.

Also, make one of them acidently set off his gun and shoot himself in the leg.
Here's some anecdotes from US troops in Iraq that I cut and pasted.

Quote:If the character is an E4 or below - have them stir a barrel of burning sh_t in 135 degree heat.

Make any telephone conversations that occur garbled, and only after dialing for 20 minutes to get through (it took longer, but if it's a screenplay you can speed things up).

Have your characters argue and ***** over the distribution of MRE's - everyone always wanted the vegetarian ones or #8 (Hamburger Patty, Grilled).

Make your characters listen to hours of mundane lectures on the "Law of War" and then receive rules of engagement that change frequently and bear no resemblance to the present situation.

Oh yeah... and as anyone whose deployed knows - if you send letters and postcards from a combat zone, you're not required to use stamps on them.

Throw in Chicken flavored potato chips, rose flavored ice cream bars and a really bad case of diarhea after the chow hall to add realism.

Express resentment that KBR (civilian contractors) are being paid 5-10X more than soldiers to do less work.
Thanks for the good idea's guys. To clear up some confusion I've been seeing about why I'm using trench ware fare I'll give you guys some basic info on the story of White Rock.

Story:
White Rock is a research facility created in Antarctica to find a way to reverse the effects of Global warming. The UN is given supreme power to get White Rock functioning to its fullest potential. At first many people volunteered to help save the Earth. However, after working in extremely harsh conditions with many lives sacrificed people began to go home, leaving White rock only partially completed. The UN was forced to take prisoners to complete White Rock so that Earth could continue to live as it has in the past. However this baffles many people due to the technologies available for living underwater. So basically White Rock is being built by millions of prisoners while all of the worlds top scientists take up residence to try to solve the problem of global warming.
Yadda Yadda Yadda, some events lead up to a rebellion and what not. So the United Nation's first counter strike against the rebels was repelled by a new EMP technology, absolutely devastating the world's armies. With millions of construction workers and all of the world's top scientists working against them. The scientists focus on defensive technologies to repel long range missile attacks. The military refuses to give up(yet more confusion on the world citizens part, and anger...dun dun dun) The military persists, yadda yadda, this leads to trench warfare due to the lack of places to hide in Antarctica ...
on top of trench warfare this leads to tunnels being used in the trenches.
Basically, the Rebel's have the power to resist technology capable of destroying them. And having to face the world's armies they can't easily counter attack more than destroying supply shipments and to continue to fight off the masses.

There is a LOT more to the story, but thats what I'm willing to tell for now, I have a writer working on a detailed version. If you guys want I can post to tell you when he gets his description up on the site, however I don't know when that will be.

Quote:Original post by Servant of the Lord
Make them say FUBAR alot.

Also, make one of them accidentally set off his gun and shoot himself in the leg.

Lol, if I get the time to pull off a random events I'll be sure to add this to the list.

If you all have any phrases or random events you'd love to hear/see in this game, just keep them coming. I'd quote and make comments on more of your ideas but really, that'd take me a while. However they are very good ideas I appreciate the feedback guys.

frob, thanks for the link to the book, looks like I'm gonna have to buy another one :).

I hope this clears up some confusion.
Glad you liked it;

Might I ask which side you play? Scientists who fight of the rampageing armys or armys who are protecting the nations against the rebellion scum? Either way, you should make a mod in which you play the other side. Two games for one engine, you make more money that way.

______________________~S of the L~______________________
Quote:Original post by MiDri
Quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
I'm not sure how much thought you've put into this, but you'll run into a problem when you start designing gameplay: There are reasons we don't have trench warfare anymore, and the biggest one is tanks. Read up a little on why there weren't a lot of trenches iin WWII, and why there haven't been any more recently, and you'll see.

I'm guessing that WWIII will be futuristic, with all kinds of nifty gizmos and such. Trenches are about as effective in modern warfare as the british square or the socket bayonet.

Just a thought.

You never know, he could explain through technoligy why trench warfar has come back about. What if we are able to neutralize just about kind of enemy "armor" or long range weapon to attack, in essense our technoligys cancel each other out. We could be reduced to trench warfar again...

You forgot planes, and also if it can go through armor that easily... a bunch of dirt ain't going to do you much better, lol. Asuming they have visiblity... from sattelites or unmanned planes/helicopters.
Quote:Original post by Xelen
You forgot planes, and also if it can go through armor that easily... a bunch of dirt ain't going to do you much better, lol. Asuming they have visiblity... from sattelites or unmanned planes/helicopters.

Quote:Original post by DapperDan
So the United Nation's first counter strike against the rebels was repelled by a new EMP technology, absolutely devastating the world's armies...
The scientists focus on defensive technologies...

*cough*
Quote:Original post by Servant of the Lord
Quote:Original post by Xelen

Quote:Original post by DapperDan
So the United Nation's first counter strike against the rebels was repelled by a new EMP technology, absolutely devastating the world's armies...
The scientists focus on defensive technologies...

*cough*

My bad, my bad, lol. Was trying to write this as they were yelling at me to come for dinner :p
I can't say much more about the story line, however I can give you some insight into the design.
This will be really basic and undetailed due to my hesitation to give away to much. You choose one of four biological armor suits at the beginning of the game. these armor suits affect your speed/recoil/jumping height/amount of noise you make/type of weapons you'll have...

Quote:Original post by MiDriYou never know, he could explain through technoligy why trench warfar has come back about. What if we are able to neutralize just about kind of enemy "armor" or long range weapon to attack, in essense our technoligys cancel each other out. We could be reduced to trench warfar again...

To head off your suspicions right of the bat, please focus on the biological part. EMPs will have no effect on these bio armor suits.

I hope this is a good consolation for not being able to say more about the story :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement