New Forceware 80 series driver issues

Started by
6 comments, last by MARS_999 18 years, 5 months ago
Well I need to confirm this but on 77.77 I think I was using before I updated I was using 2048x2048 FBO texture sizes and had no speed issues or closing my game down at all. Now with the 80 series when I close my game engine down its SLOW, unless I reduce the size to 512x512 then its fast again??? Can anyone else confirm they are having any issues with FBO performance with the new drivers?
Advertisement
yes i got that problem but not in FBO,
i was test my particles app there was like 1000 particle when i open it the app gets slow for like .5 s ~ 1 s then continue working, i don't get this with old driver :( i think i am going to uninstall it .
no problems here,
look at your driver settings perhaps theyre different now
eg vsync different,antialiasing different etc
I setup the drivers the same way. I have a dual core Athlon64 so I am wondering if that is causing some issues since this is the first driver to support them for improved speed...
The new drivers do seem buggy, mainly the Direct Monitor Access thing messing with my monitor's settings, setting incorrect brigtness and contrast, forcing me to reconfigure it everytime I open the driver control panel. Sucks as nVidia usually has very good drivers.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
I've been trying some of the 8x.xx drivers and they've been giving me trouble too. For one, a lot of texture-related items seem to be having issues. In the Serious Sam 2 demo the textures on all the buildings in the background would flicker and dissapear randomly as I looked around, and the same thing happens in Fable, but it's harder to see cause all the GUI screens dissapear entirely! (Makes it hard to get in and out of the game, you know?) I haven't noticed many artifacts in other games, but there do seem to be speed issues. Quake 3 (yes, 3!) is suddenly slowing down on me, Doom 3 is choppier than normal, and my new copy of Quake 4 is practically unplayable (though that may just be because my card sucks. Never EVER buy a 5500FX! They're the biggest POS Nvidia ever made!)

In any case, I'm less than thrilled by the new driver's preformance. I think I'll be switching back to my old 7x.xx driver for a while. (Till I hear that things have gotten better)
// The user formerly known as Tojiro67445, formerly known as Toji [smile]
no trouble for me so far, and GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil is supported!
(yet for the love of God I can't manage to get it working.)
Very interesting when I quit out of my engine now if I use a smaller texture size like 512x512 it will return to windows almost as fast as the 70series. Now the kicker, it doesn't matter if I use FBO's or glCopyTexImage2D the speed of exiting the engine is the same... Got me seems like if the texture sizes are larger its taking a long time to shutdown.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement