Timezone paranoia

Started by
7 comments, last by nes8bit 18 years, 5 months ago
So as well as pranoia that I'll lose my PC or somehow didn't register for the contest (even though it says I did), I now am paranoid about when the contest ends. IIRC it's Midnight October 31st Eastern Standard Time? But what does that mean for me in good old GMT? I think it means that in my timezone, the deadline is actually 5am November 1st... for anyone else likely to be going to the wire with their submissions you may like to consider this - potentially you could have 12 hours more than you thought. Or 12 hours less maybe?!
Advertisement
Eastern Standard Time is GMT -5.

Notice above the title bar where it says

Current Server Time - 5:13:59 AM

A little bit of deduction tells me it's 10:15 where you are.

As far as gaining a few more hours goes, you lost those hours when the contest began - so it all balances out.

// edit - I see that the current server time isn't posted on individual threads, but on the active topics page. My bad.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
So when I think it's midnight, EST thinks it's 1900?

I may have lost those hours at the start, but 5 hours at the start seems worth a lot less than 5 hours in a week's time!
Except that they're from 0000 - 0500 Tuesday morning which isn't that great for going in to work! Hopefully I'll finish on the Sunday night anyway...
According to http://www.timezoneconverter.com:

23:59:00 Monday October 31, 2005 in EST converts to
04:59:00 Tuesday November 1, 2005 in GMT

I'll probably be joining you in the last-second, tuesday night submitting :P
I'd encourage people to avoid the last couple of hours for uploading, because there's probably going to be quite a lot of people trying to push things through then and thus it may slow down somewhat. You can always prepare a build a little in advance (your 'release candidate') and upload it, then continue working and replace it with a second build if you get it ready in time.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Yes, we had a very hard time uploading 90 megs of game last time, and ended up flt out deleting things to sucessfully upload. So, uh, don't do that.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote:Original post by d000hg
So when I think it's midnight, EST thinks it's 1900?

Yep. And out here in California we would think it was 1600 (GMT-8)

Quote:Original post by d000hg
I may have lost those hours at the start,

You didn't really loose them. For example if the start and finish times for the contest are 2400 EST, for you they would be 0500 and for me they would be 2100. So it might seem that I would have to hustle to get my submission in on time (if I procrastinated) - but I also got to start at 9 pm instead of midnight. And while it might seem that you had to wait 5 hours to get started, in reality we would all start at the same time (that is if we actually started when the contest began rather than procrastinate or something). The difference in this is simply that I might be more alert and ready to go at 9 pm than someone starting at 12 am or someone else starting at 5 am (assuming that person stayed up all night waiting).
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
But 5 months ago who would rush to spend those 5 hours in a really productive way immediately that the contest was announced, especially since that would mean starting your design at 3am or something ludicrous.

Wheras when you've been planning a cut-off of midnight and then realise you ahve 5 hours more right at the end - those 5 hours are positive gold!
Well if you're stressing you can thank your opposition for making the contest harder.

I strongly suggest you guys submit early. They aren't going to give leway for submissions with 78 entries on the plate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement