What is the meaning of life?

Started by
550 comments, last by Kest 18 years, 4 months ago
The "Meaning of Life" was a popular Monty Python movie released in the early 1980's. It featured memorable songs like "Every Sperm is Sacred" as well as a host of skits concerning this most serious of questions.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by programwizard
I came upon the conclusion that the meaning of life is to fight evil. If you think about it, every "good" thing in life breeds happiness, which repels sorrow, which is just another derrivitive of evil.

If what is good breeds happiness, and what is bad must be eliminated, how do we know which wordly things are good and which are bad? More specifically, what is something good? Is it a raise, a new car, or, even, a long period of time set aside for working on your game? What is something bad? Is it a terrorist, outsourcing, or EA games? Would you say these things are good and bad?
I still have trouble believing that the meaning of life is to just have fun with it; after all, if Heaven is the most perfect place in the universe, why didn't God just keep all souls up there instead of sending them down into these bodies, however short a time period it may be for? If you were in a place that was perfect, I think it would be pretty fun.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Quote:Original post by programwizard
And please, no stupid answers (i.e. the meaning of life is to score with hot chicks). Shoot.

ironically, thats quite close to the truth.

the meaning of life can simply be derived from its definition: definition: it multiplies -> meaning: multiplication.

ofcource you are free to step away from that definition and its implication, either by killing yourself or otherwise just not multiplying, and redefine the meaning of your life. it is quite pointless though.

(Goddamn, beaten to it by miles...)
[email=wastedhours@gmail.com]-steve[/email]_______________________Freelance Game Journalist / Designer / Occasional Game Developer[GamingHours.com] [RandomlyAccessed]
Quote:Original post by Phineas

If what is good breeds happiness, and what is bad must be eliminated, how do we know which wordly things are good and which are bad? More specifically, what is something good? Is it a raise, a new car, or, even, a long period of time set aside for working on your game? What is something bad? Is it a terrorist, outsourcing, or EA games? Would you say these things are good and bad?

I would define good things as things that bring happiness without taking it away at the same time, and evil things as things that either take away happiness, or give it, but take some away from another place at the same time.

------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Though I know that there are some on here that would disagree, I believe there is a clearly defined purpose for human life. One of the greatest things I've learned in the process since becoming a Christian is that God does indeed have a plan and a desire for our lives. This may not be the popular opinion, and undoubtedly some people will completely disregard or become inflamed by me simply using the "C" or "G" words, but this is the Truth as I've lived it. Anyone willing to look into this more should check out this link; it's some sample chapters from one of my personal favorite book about learning the live the Christian "Purpose Driven Life". Enjoy!
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
Quote:Original post by spacemonkeystudios

OT: Haven't seen that movie yet, but I want to :). Back OT.
Quote:Original post by LessBread
The "Meaning of Life" was a popular Monty Python movie released in the early 1980's. It featured memorable songs like "Every Sperm is Sacred" as well as a host of skits concerning this most serious of questions.
Wasn't that the one with the skit about the teacher (John Cleese, I believe) who, for sex-ed, brings in his wife for a live demonstration for the class? That was freakin' hilarious.

Mage2k

---------------------------------------------------There are 10 kinds of people in the world:Those that understand binary, and those that dont...Mage
Quote:Original post by Mage2k
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Wasn't that the one with the skit about the teacher (John Cleese, I believe) who, for sex-ed, brings in his wife for a live demonstration for the class? That was freakin' hilarious.

Mage2k

yes

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement