linecount in fstream

Started by
3 comments, last by snk_kid 18 years, 5 months ago
I want to code a little level parser for my game, so i thought dynamic file length would be something nice :) . So I've started with a vector<string> but now i need to know how often my loop that creats another string has to run. Does someone know how to get the lines? Atm it looks like this:

ifstream readfile (string("Level/Level1.txt").c_str());
for (unsigned int i=0;i< /* ? */ ;i++)
{
	Level.push_back(EmptyString);
	readfile>>Level;
}
readfile.close();

Advertisement
First of all,

ifstream readfile (string("Level/Level1.txt").c_str());

is nonsense..

ifstream readfile ("Level/Level1.txt");

is faster, smaller and safer, and does the same job.

Second, you want to use something like

while (!EndOfFile(file)) do ....

I don't know how it's done with streams though..

also, you might be interested in this
thanx for sharing
Quote:Original post by philipptr
So I've started with a vector<string> but now i need to know how often my loop that creats another string has to run.

The C++ iostreams have state flags that can tell you things like the end of file, iostreams are also implicitly convertible to bool so you can do a quick status check of a stream using the idiomatic:

while(io_stream) or while(!io_stream)if(io_stream) or if(!io_stream)

Quote:Original post by philipptr
Does someone know how to get the lines?

For std::basic_string there is a free-function in namespace std called std::getline in header string and can be used with any iostream type not just file streams. Remember it is not a member function of any stream it is a free-function.
thanks for the first hint ;)

I searched a bit for the EndOfFile thing and found that ifstream has a member eof() so I just use for (unsigned int i=0;!readfile.eof();i++) and it works.
So thanks you've helped quite a lot.

EDIT: thanks snk_kid that tought me some more stuff :)
I forget to mention that std::getline returns the reference to a stream that was passed in so you can do:

std:string line;while(std::getline(in_stream, line)) {   // do some processing with the line   // ...   Level.push_back(line);}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement