Newspaper Comics

Started by
42 comments, last by noel33 18 years, 5 months ago
What sort of newspaper comics do you GameDev denizens enjoy/dislike? Of the comics that my local newspaper prints, I find Monty, The Boondocks, Sally Forth, and Jump Start to be consistently good. Of the rest, I find Marmaduke and Get Fuzzy in particular to be terrible. According to "Get Fuzzy"'s wikipedia page, it's fairly popular for some reason. Anyone know why/like this comic?
Advertisement
I don't pay attention to newspaper comics anymore. None of them really stick out as good. I suppose Monty is the best one right now.
I kinda like Get Fuzzy, but I agree Marmaduke is a complete joke (no pun intended). Same deal for "Family Circus", that crap is so pompous (sp?). The title suggests that their lives are so hectic, but the comic is like, 9 times out of 10 just that little kid applying an inappropriate name to something. jesus christ, is there no editer for the comics?

I also hate Kathy, that is the worst comic ever. ALRIGHT, WE GET IT. SHE'S STRESSED AND OVERWEIGHT. WHAT NOW?

Bizzaro is good, and so is Sherman's Lagoon. Funny stuff.

I still think dilbert is funny, but I have very little to compare it to in our hometown paper, which consists mostly of ads saying "Advertise in the paper!"

Also, I find the cartoons on the New Yorker magazine to be funny, even if are spread thin in there...

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

The worst ones are those "serious" comics like Mary Worth and Rex Morgan. Firstly, they never have interesting story lines, and secondly, unless you've read every single comic strip in the series you'll never understand what the heck is going on. It's like they took soap operas and found a new way of forcing them on us...
My favourite comics are Monty, Nonsequitur, Get Fuzzy, Foxtrot and Sherman's Lagoon.

I think that Get Fuzzy is an aquired case. The timing in it seems to be very different from other comics. I agree that those 'facts about cats/dogs' are horrible, but I really like the other stuff.

Oh, it's not in papers anymore, but Bloom County is sheer genius. I think the the artist, Berkeley Breathed, is doing a Sunday only comic now, called Opus. Still, you owe it to yourself to check out Bloom County.

My least favourite ones are probably Heathcliff, Marmeduke, and Family Circus.
newspaper comics aren't worthy
Quote:Original post by load_bitmap_file
What sort of newspaper comics do you GameDev denizens enjoy/dislike?

Of the comics that my local newspaper prints, I find Monty, The Boondocks, Sally Forth, and Jump Start to be consistently good.

Of the rest, I find Marmaduke and Get Fuzzy in particular to be terrible. According to "Get Fuzzy"'s wikipedia page, it's fairly popular for some reason. Anyone know why/like this comic?

OMG Marmaduke is the worst but Get Fuzzy is the best, at least in my opinion. Marmaduke is for like... people who... I dunno. People who like to read stories about dogs, I guess. Get Fuzzy, however, is a war between evil and the innocent good. It's very dramatic, random, and funny. I love it.
Quote:Original post by eedok

It's printed in some papers. From his bio page:

Quote:The Perry Bible Fellowship first appeared in Syracuse University's Daily Orange.�In September of 2003,�it won the Baltimore City Paper's Comic Contest. It now has several publishers including The Portland Mercury, The Rochester Insider, The�Birmingham Black and White, and�The New York Press.
Quote:Original post by mtw
Quote:Original post by eedok

It's printed in some papers. From his bio page:

Quote:The Perry Bible Fellowship first appeared in Syracuse University's Daily Orange.�In September of 2003,�it won the Baltimore City Paper's Comic Contest. It now has several publishers including The Portland Mercury, The Rochester Insider, The�Birmingham Black and White, and�The New York Press.

Wow, hats off to the newspapers willing to print PBF. Those who read it know why.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement