I feel like doing something stupid.

Started by
16 comments, last by smart_idiot 18 years, 5 months ago
I want to go for a walk. I'm bored, I don't drive, I'm too cheap to pay for transportation would be somewhat expensive, and I don't think this is important enough to inconvenience anyone I know. Here are the obvious problems: I estimate the trip will involve almost 60 hours worth of walking, so it seems like I'm going to need to figure out how I'm going to sleep at some point. It will be cold, probably as low as 0°C, and it could also rain, which would probably make me die. Since I'm walking, there's a limit on how much I can take without destroying my spine. Food and water shouldn't be something I'll need to worry about, and I'll be following a road so I imagine I could get help if I really needed to. If I were to do this, what would I need to wear/bring/know in order to have a reasonable chance of still being alive and without any major damage to myself at the end of it?
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Advertisement

How good can this place be that you would be willing to spend 60 hours
walking to get there?

Just go to bed!
______________________________Yes I think the rev pad sucks/so does 50 and the DS. I like action and am not ashamed. I prefer brunettes but hate chocolate. Yes,I have opinions!!! Rate as you will.
The destination isn't really that great. A lot of people seem to dislike it, actually. I selected it mostly for sentimental and nostalgic reasons.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
If you expect temperatures ~0c with the possibility of rain you'll need a tent and a decent sleeping bag. If the temperature can be expected to go much lower than that, you need a good sleeping bag. If you don't already have these, then there's a reasonably good chance it'll be cheaper to take a bus.

CM
Don't you have a bike? That would cut the time down a bit...
If you're going off-road (through the woods or something) I would suggest you don't go alone. If you really want to, try to stay in areas with cell-phone coverage and leave note of where you're going and when you expect to be back..
Quote:Original post by Penten
Don't you have a bike? That would cut the time down a bit...

so cool
Quote:Original post by Conner McCloud
If you expect temperatures ~0c with the possibility of rain you'll need a tent and a decent sleeping bag. If the temperature can be expected to go much lower than that, you need a good sleeping bag. If you don't already have these, then there's a reasonably good chance it'll be cheaper to take a bus.

CM
while the bus may be cheaper, I'm pretty certain it will take quite a bit longer. I looked into taking a bus from Baltimore, MD to Orlando, FL, it was scheduled to take 3 weeks.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Just get a decent quality sleeping bag. It will keep your body temperature up, and will cost less than $75. I would wear a hoodie with a heavy coat on top, and a beanie to keep my ears/head warm. I assume you'll be going through snow since it's so cold, so some kind of water proof boot would be nice also. If you can remember that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west then you should be able to get to safety with ease if you can remember which direction you were going.
Winter camping can be very dangerous. Get an awesome coat, wear thermal underwear (or two pairs of pants), weat a hat, a hood, a scarf, the works. Carry a backpack with heatpacks, granola, and a big waterbottle. This might seem like a good idea until after the second or third hour =) Long-range hikes are not something for amateurs, however - if you are determined - and it will be more along sidewalks than mountains - I bet it won't kill you to try it.

You can live for a long time on granola, and longer than you think without food. You'll need a constant supply of water though, so if it's sidewalks, refill that bottle in public restrooms or restaurants. If it's offroading, bring iodine-based purifier tabs so you can drink melted snow or riverwater. Don't refill your bottle in standing water (like a pond or big puddle...big puddle *might* be okay if it *just* rained.

If you have no umbrella, strap your hood on tight thru the rain and don't sleep in it. Bring a trashbag to keep rain off you if you have nothing else...water soaks thru the best of jackets but can't do crap to a trashbag. Just secure it over your head and shoulders. You won't look awesome, but this doesn't sound like it's about looking awesome.

Make sure you're comfortable not showering for like a week or two.

If it's in the wildnerness, bring stuff to start fires, and be very careful about doing so. Cheat...use lighter-fluid and carry tinder. Don't sleep next to fires. Careful about sleeping, especially if you might get snowed on; build a little shelter or something out of big sticks and little sticks...roof it with pineneedles.

If it's on the street, sleep under the cameras in ATM booths, and go to sleep around 2 AM...cops likely won't notice you until well into morning (unless it's a major city, then you'll have to fend off bums and, frankly, a motel would be far safer).

I'd make sure you're in shape first, if timing isn't an issue. Start jogging every morning. You might find that the jogging itself helps you feel resolved =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement