Research Paper on File Sharing

Started by
85 comments, last by jbadams 18 years, 5 months ago
I am doing a research paper on piracy and I have a poll I would like everyone to take part in. This is for my primary research portion of the report. What out of these options is most likely to deter you from piracy or has already deterred you from piracy? 1. The presence of faked files and/or slow network speeds 2. The availability of websites to legally download copyrighted content for a fee 3. The possibility of having legal action taken against you 4. The moral dilemma that it is wrong to steal Also please explain your answer in more detail with your option.
Advertisement
1. The presence of faked files and/or slow network speeds
- This has no effect on me, as I don't partake in downloading pirated material. However, I am quite annoyed to find this sort of thing when using P2P to obtain legal material (fake files).

2. The availability of websites to legally download copyrighted content for a fee
- After legality, this is the leading reason that I don't do it. There is very little in digital format (at least, in my interest) on the internet that cannot be purchased.

3. The possibility of having legal action taken against you
- Honestly, this element is not a deterrant. Either because I'm overconfident in my security, or the whole "It won't happen to me" complex. But this one isn't a factor (not required anyway), maybe I'd feel different if I was into it.

4. The moral dilemma that it is wrong to steal
- This is a pretty big one here, mostly along the lines of "If I sell a game, would I want someone to do that to me?"

Edit: 4 is the leading reason, followed by 2

[Edited by - necreia on October 30, 2005 9:03:01 PM]
This will deter me from getting minor things that I don't really need or want.

2. The availability of websites to legally download copyrighted content for a fee
This dosn't deter me at all since I don't want to pay for something.(yes i know everyone has worked hard to make it but piracy isn't as big of an issue as some think)

This dosn't deter me that much, it just makes me more careful.

How about the moral dilemma for the companies of overcharging?

edit: 1 most of all since you're asking for a poll answer.
The only one that would really deter me is the morality one. I oftentimes download things of "questionable legality" and justify it with thoughts like: "It's from an ancient system that they don't sell anymore, they are no longer making money off of it, so you aren't hurting them." Then, I see them make a remake of said file for a current system and I feel very guilty. The other issues are a non-factor. And now you just made me aware of a gaping moral deficiency of mine... thanks a lot jerk(just kidding). You certainly did make me reconsider what I use p2p for...

EDIT: to sum up, 1, 2, and 3 are non-issues for me, and 4 gives me some consternation and guilt, but has never really stopped me from using p2p for "questionably legal" purposes.
This affects me the most. I prefer quality any time. Pirated software always contains little things that annoy me just enough, questionable key generators, worms, viruses, low quality, etc, that I am considering not to download it.

I don't pay for digital contents because they can be easily deleted from my computer. I'd rather buy actual items that I can see and touch. Backing up doesn't solve all the problems.

A major effect. I don't want to be involved in lawsuits against me.

This has no effect on me. Products that I consider "stealing" usually cost way over my budget. I'd be ashamed if I steal a product that was made by one person or indies, but since most commercial products are made by giant corporates that only care about their money, I'd do it anyway. However, if I have the money, I'd rather purchase it for quality, convenience, and safety reasons.
Definitly #4.

I couldn't care less about legal action, and routinly download No-CD cracks because I can't stand putting in the cd every time.

Assuming I ever make a game good enough to sell, I wouldn't want someone to pirate it, I wouldn't get fed that day! just common sense.

and since it's against the rules to admit to piracy:
hpothetically a friend of a friend in a dream talked about someone who might have
only pirated 3 things in his life, felt bad about it, and deleted them. two of the three things were later bought legally :) They were two old SNES games, and an old DOS game that was never released in the states.

[ignore]
Quote:Original post by googlyeyes
Definitly #4.

I couldn't care less about legal action, and routinly download No-CD cracks because I can't stand putting in the cd every time.

Assuming I ever make a game good enough to sell, I wouldn't want someone to pirate it, I wouldn't get fed that day! just common sense.

and since it's against the rules to admit to piracy:
hpothetically a friend of a friend in a dream talked about someone who might have
only pirated 3 things in his life, felt bad about it, and deleted them. two of the three things were later bought legally :) They were two old SNES games, and an old DOS game that was never released in the states.

[ignore]

Simply use the term "questionable legality" and I think you're covered.
[looksaround]
Quote:from the rules
Software piracy is banned from these forums. Posts asking for pirated software or for how to find pirated software will not be tolerated. Admitting to using pirated software or other pirated material is a bannable offense.

- Jason Astle-Adams

double bannorisation!
Quote:Original post by SchoolGuy
[...]What out of these options is most likely to deter you from piracy or has already deterred you from piracy?
[...]
4. The moral dilemma that it is wrong to steal[...]
I'm a software developer, and while my job-work is 'immune' to piracy (being specalized contract work for the gov and various others) and I've released all my hobby-work freely(free as in liberty, like the quote on the FSF homepage that mocks their GPL), I may decide not to do so sometime in the future, and I wouldn't want other to pirate my software.
Thus, to avoid being a hypocrite, I do not pirate other's software.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement