Real-time sky system...

Started by
7 comments, last by ProgramMax 18 years, 5 months ago

Attempt four at making a real-time sky system...
Just looking for opinions/ideas. (e.g. How fake does it look?) I was also wondering if I should use more than 1 cloud layer and if so, procedural like the layer in the image? Or in the form of billboard sprites?

Screenshot: http://ravenix.co.uk/sky.jpg

Any feedback is highly appreciated... Thanks in advance. :)
[Edited by - RaveniX on November 3, 2005 12:27:05 AM]
Advertisement
That does look quite good. Good job. The only thing that I can see a slight problem with is that it sort of looks like someone's used a gradient tool and just painted it in.
Thanks... :)

Was the last comment in reference to it's apearance, or in reference to the fact that I may have cheated and edited the screenshot?

I guess I see your point, so when I've added the second cloud layer I'll post screenshots from different points in the day/night cycle, so people can clearly see the differences.

Regards,
RaveniX.
It looks just like the sky here. Dreary! :)
Yea, thats the feel I'm going for. I'm currently writing an engine and editor for a RPG project I'm working on. It's based in a dark medievil sort of setting. Plenty of fog, grey skies and rain. :)
Hello!

Your sky look very... grey :) I believe the cloud layer is difficult to see (and will be even more difficult to see when the camera will move). There is a lack of contrast in your sky and as a consequence your sky look empty. Contrast ins sky can generate a very dramatic, threatening atmosphere:

Of course, you can create less contrasted images (with less bright areas)

There is what is commonly called a Yann L thread around there which is called sky rendering techniques. It deals with very advanced sky rendering (and the results Yann achieved are simply fantastic) and gives very good results:

Regards,
RaveniX, your real-time sky is very impressive and inspired me to work on one of my own. After much research and testing I have managed to emulate your beautiful sky with the following OpenGL code:

glClearColor(0.3f, 0.3f, 0.3f, 0.0f);
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);
Hehe, thanks for the sarcasm. :P The problem is with the lack of contrast. The gamma control on my editor was not setting the gamma correctly, so on my monitor it looks fine. This has been solved. :) Btw, thanks Emmanuel for your input. I've got the cloud rendering working. I just need to create a scattered light effect that modifies the clouds colours according to the sun position and colour.

Here's a screenshot with the gamma fixed. The clouds are now visible. :)

Screenshot: http://www.ravenix.co.uk/sky2.jpg

It's basically just a perlin noise generator which goes through a contrast filter on the final pass to give better cloud shapes.
Your second shot (with the clouds) is MUCH better than your first.

As dorky as it sounds, the sky in Asheron's Call was GREAT. It wasn't real at all...infact it was terrible in that regaurd. However in the grand scheme of things it was perfect.

You had clouds, and behind that was a blue sky durring the day or a black, starry sky durring the night. And you could see very clearly the several moons, other planets, constalations, etc.

And because of that I have literally spent several in-game hours just staring at the sky. Or taken screen shots only because of the sky.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement