Sign in to follow this  
Boder

[4E4] #5: Against the Dead

Image hosted by TinyPic.com
One of the top entries in my opinion. Not too big to download and lots of fun shooting action. At first I was like mmmmm FLLLASSH. But then I was like KICKASSS. I gave it a shot. The menus are cool. I don't like the gradient bars tho. Then I started playing and it all added up. Good sound, strategy that takes some time to learn, cartoony graphics, screechs and death-cries, upgrades like an RPG, everything. The way everything reloads. . . the polish of the gameplay ... perfect pacing. This game is a gem to me. And a perfect length IMO. Has *cartoony graphics *lots of weapons *strategy *lots of enemies *levels, upgrades *story Needs *less typos *maybe some power-ups *can't think of much [Edited by - Boder on November 3, 2005 5:16:26 PM]

Definately agreed - for what it is (turret shooter? What would you call it?), it's really a gem. I can't see myself throwing days or weeks into the game, but it's that perfect length for a quick play every now and then.

I could wish for better move responsiveness at times, but I think that's all intentional... strategy, rather than fast clicky action - even if my FPS-trained fingers don't seem to grasp that concept ;)

Agreed. When I started it up it seemed pretty simple, but I gave the first couple of levels a shot, and I couldn't quit until I'd finished the game. It just all fits together, and it's pretty hard to quit before you're done.

Same here, I really liked this entry. I couldnt stop playing because I needed to upgrade ALL of my weapons :). In the end it was a bit easy, I only died once the entire game. There is a really simple strategy to beat the game, and that is: leave the weakest zombie alive in 3 or 4 lanes, they are easy to knock back and move slowly. Then keep killing whatever is in the final lane so you don't accidentally get overwhelmed by vampires, ninjas, or kangsi's.

You bring a good point, Optus, I was thinking of following that strategy but I decided just to kill everything in sight.

It is a cheap strategy, but maybe the game could be changed to lessen its usefulness. An example is to transform the weaklings into really powerful monsters if they aren't killed after a certain amount of time.

I did like this - it's the only one so far I found fun, rather than a tech-demo of some sort. I liked the polished feel and the idiosyncratic art/language - reminded me of "All your base are belong to us". While I can't see it doing that well in the contest (it has gameplay but not much else) the idea and implementation is nice.

Hi everyone,
Thank you all for playing my game! I am really glad people like it!
thanks for all the suggestions and comments, i will take note of them. Thanks boder, that suggestion really solve the problem!

just a little introduction of myself first, I am Shu Wan from singapore, 22yrs old. Currently in Taiwan for holiday:) I studied Digital Media Design from nanyang polytechnic in Singapore, and majored in Game Design.

Against The Dead is my entry for this 4e4 contest. It is really really wonderful that this game gets the 5th position! I am one of those who checks the forum every hour:), the result came out around 4am singapore time, and yes I was still awake, haha.

I am not a trained programmer, I pretty much learned action scripting by myself, www.flashkit.com is my most frequently visited website for october. I scripted afew flash games before and thus I decided to use flash as my tool for this contest, I guess this is the only submitted game made using flash???

Just like to share my experience.
I saw this contest around late september and I only have ard one month's time to make this game. As I wasnt working for any company, I was able to do this game full time. I worked day and nights on it, and stayed overnight on 30th october trying to make this game as complete and bugless as possible.

Conceptualising
I spent alot of time thinking of a concept for the game, trying to came up with a story that could include all the 4 elements. I had considered making a RPG, multiplayer flash game etc, and finally came to what it is now, i am hoping fans of different game types would all like this game.
For this game, I am focusing more on the graphics and the gameplay. Putting alot of thoughts to the look and feel of every scenes. Spend around one week and half just to create, sketch, and animate the characters. I hope the characters are unique and attractive! The main selling point of Against The Dead is the graphics and the gameplay.

Scripting
For the scripting part I really learnt alot from this project, one rule I made for myself is not to copy and paste from other people's script, which can be easily found on the internet. I enjoyed scripting, it is very rewarding and fun.

GameTesting
I dont think anyone likes a game that takes a long time to learn, and requires to read the manual before hand. My testers are actually my friends, and from their feedbacks I made changes such as adding a big red arrow on the bullets icon, so that player knows what weapon to use to kill that Worm-infested Ninja.
I lowered the difficulty alot, as one of the most common feedback is that it is too difficult, which I dont really agree but erm, a difficult game might just turn none-hardcore players away.

AfterThoughts
Althought it is just a simple flash game, i realise it still requires a huge amount of time to make it a complete game. Things like logos, sound, all takes time. I am very impressed by 3d games such as toy robo, couldnt imaging the how heavy the workload is for every team member!

thanks everyone. It is really quite an experience. I will like to download all other entries and learn from these great games!

Wow, I forgot to comment on this one.

This is one of the few games I've played, and I was impressed, particularly with the art style (its the sort of thing that I really like). The gameplay was quite good too. Overall a very polished game that I had to play all the way through (although I wasn't quite sure whether that last wave was ever going to end!)

I'm not surprised it scored so well. Although admittedly I've only played four 4E4 games so far (and all of them were in the top 5), so it's hard for me to acurrately judge [smile]. But this was a polished fun game.

I guess now that you've won a GDNet subscription we'll be seeing a Flash oriented journal from you some day soon? [grin]

It was quite polished but I was a little suprised it did quite so well. In my view TimeBlasters was just as polished and more of a game. This one did have a bit more originality and nice artwork as well as a cool 'quirk' factor though.
I would have placed it top-ten, but expected a flashy FPS to be in the top 5.

Sign in to follow this