beginner, college..

Started by
30 comments, last by ravyne2001 18 years, 5 months ago
I would love to have a job in game dev. I’m not too good in art or programming, but I’m good with computers in general. I could probably study and work with modeling and coding.. to learn/get better. But between trying to get programs and tutorials I probably won’t get real far. I was wondering, would going to college to learn how to do everything be smart when you don't have the skills to begin with? I mean... that's what college is for.. to teach you... but it seems like the people who would go are already advanced in the area. :/
Advertisement
How old are you? How much time do you have until college is an option for you?
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
Most (if not all) Computer Science and Software Engineering courses assume absolutely no previous computer knowledge at all. In fact my first ever lab class was basically learning how to use Windows XP.
My CS labs are done on Macs . . .and unix in later years
windows XP?! I bet you had two-button mice as well!

It really depends if you want to program the game mechanics or create the imagery - If you're good at computers you shouldnt have any trouble with picking up 3D programs (probably artistic skill necessary too. . . :P)

If you're thinking of going for programming, make sure you can handle alot of maths... I'm finding out i'm just not cut for it because of this.
Yeah we had two-button mice, but they became pretty useless since we only used Windows XP for one semester and moved on to Linux/Unix after that ;) He's right about the maths though, CS courses usually require you to do at least two maths units during the duration of your course. You'll also need to learn some extra maths if you want to take a unit that covers 3D graphics, which I plan to do next year.
What kind of maths do you do in CS courses?
Progress is born from the opportunity to make mistakes.

My prize winning Connect 4 AI looks one move ahead, can you beat it? @nickstadb
I've done Trig. , Calculus 1 and 2 , Discrete Math , so far but there is more to come (like Linear Alg. ).

I'm a BS in CS. Theres alot of math if your a B.S. but if your a B.A. there isn't much. It would be best to move into the B.S. as a Comp. Sci. major.
Quote:Original post by blut3ng3l
I would love to have a job in game dev. I’m not too good in art or programming, but I’m good with computers in general. I could probably study and work with modeling and coding.. to learn/get better. But between trying to get programs and tutorials I probably won’t get real far. I was wondering, would going to college to learn how to do everything be smart when you don't have the skills to begin with? I mean... that's what college is for.. to teach you... but it seems like the people who would go are already advanced in the area. :/

Well, I don't know how it is over there, but here, when you start at computer science, for example, they really assume that you know nothing. (other than maybe how to turn on a computer).

You start learning how to program in a language none of the students have heard of before, and you learn some mandatory math, and then work from there.

Generally, they'll tell you what formal requirements they have (some level of high school math, for example), and that is really all you need. You don't need to know programming in advance to study computer science. And that's more or less true for any other college degrees as well.
I'm in a programming program now. (Bored out of my mind in the begining classes) and They assume NOTHING!! Math is a must, That's a given seeing Computers are nothing but. As much math as you can learn, the better, but not needed when your just learning. The classes might be good, if you wish, to fill in the blanks of what you already know. It's also much better having a teacher to ask when there is somthing that confuses you.

Depending on where you live, It may be hard to find a school that teaches programing insted of lecturing about it(only 2 schools here, and only 1 of them is considerd a collage). Good luck on that.
Will you play with me? (Grins Evilly)
Programming will come to you just like english but college mostly forcus on software engineering which is the study software developement. They real don't focus on one programming language but how to implement and design code based on some problem. My first clase at TTU was about what we, the students sticking with CS, were going to take later on. They had every thing sight out but they use the java,only because it had module already developed.

It shouldn't take long to learn c++ sinse some students only take it for less than a year.
Bring more Pain

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement