Sign in to follow this  
xycos

Where next?

Okay, so... I'm sort of at a stopping point here. I know Java fairly well. I can throw a mesh together in Maya and get a rotating cube on screen with Irrlicht.NET/C#. On my own time, I've made Blackjack, Breakout, Asteroids, and Meteos closnes all using Java. Basically, what I want to do is harvest all this into one project. Having just started with C# and 3D programming, I sort of want to make a simple 3D game in C#... something I could make in a couple weeks, just to test my skills and see I'm going in the right direction, at least before attempting the sort of full-scale game projects I'd like to (and for said full-scale projects, I'll need to find people interested in working together on a project, and start from somewhere). So my question is this... What should I do? Should I try something like Tetris, and make it with a 3D engine? Do I need to do something simpler than that to get used to working with C#, as I'm still fiarly new to the language (i.e. I don't use pointers at all, simply 'cause I have no idea what's going on with them). Should I try something slightly more ambitious, i.e. something that actually has a 3D world? Should I learn C++ because other languages are completley useless for game development? Should I just give up because I'm such a loser and I'll never get anywhere? Uh... yeah... Well, um... that's it. Bye!

This article shows a list of games that are recommended for you to give a go as they use systems that are in any larger scale game such as graphics, audio, AI, possibly networking, physics, gameplay and so on.

When I'd finished some simpler games like those listed previously, I decided that I was going to port a 2D classic (Pong in the case) to a 3D engine. It took about a month but I learnt heck of a lot about 3D graphics programming and real-world physics - all which is of great importance in some games.

Best of luck to you.

Hmmm... Thanks. I think I might be just beyond that level, though. I've made ames similar to all those except for the side-scroller. Maybe I should do a side-scroller, and just use a 3D engine for graphics? Hmmm... okay, yeah, that could work.

Okay, thanks,
Best of wishes,
-xy