Sign in to follow this  
gav86

Game artist's preference?

Sorry for asking this question (its probably been asked a million times before, but I despise "search" functions on forums!) Anyway, as far as 3D game modelling/animation is concerned (rather than really high-res photoreal stuff), which is/are the most popular software package(s)? Thanks.

Guest Anonymous Poster
3D Studio would undoubtabley be the most popular. Probably then something like Maya or Lightwave.

I use Truespace.

Raen.

Animation package: Alias Motionbuilder
Modelling: All the big pakages has basically the same modelling tools, So choosing between Maya, Lightwave, 3d Studio and SoftImage is just a matter of workflow. For game market I've would have to go with Maya simple because it has a great API which it's easy to build custom content and Exporters.

/ Christoffer Nyberg

i prefer 3ds max but as the rest said above most of the major ones have all of the same tools. although if you get 3ds max 7 character studio comes packaged with it. 3ds max works for both high and low-res modeling and also has a ton of freeware plugins for it. but in the end its your choice.

thanks,

- I have played around with a very old version of 3ds max (3.1) and also the latest maya PLE (7), but I found maya to be really strange/un-intuitive compared to max. - Is the latest version of max similar?

Also, is there a "learning edition" of 3ds max? I dont exactly want to go forking out large sums of money just to try it

well 3ds max 7 is like 3 but much more improved and has an even more simplified interface, go here to download a 30-day trial demo of 3ds max 8. i use 7 so i don't know much about 8, but i assume they wouldn't have changed much. you might want to look for a version of 7 if you ever want to buy 3ds max because a lot of the game engine plugins out there only work for max 7 and back. trial link;

http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0049.034