[.net] .NET 1.1 and 2.0 compatibility?

Started by
1 comment, last by capn_midnight 18 years, 5 months ago
I'm currently using Visual Studio 2003, but I might be upgrading to 2005 soon and I was wondering about compatibility between the different .NET versions: a) Will I have to leave the .NET framework 1.1 things installed to run pre-VS2005 .NET apps or will the 2.0 framework be backwards compatible? b) Can I use .NET 1.1 libraries (like MDX or LuaInterface, though I could probably rebuild LuaInterface) in a program that also uses .NET 2.0? Will I have to have both .NET 1.1 and 2.0 installed to do so? c) I heard that in the VC++ 2005 betas, there were issues compiling windows.h with C++/CLI enabled. Has this been fixed in the final version, is there a workaround or will I have to use the old Managed C++ syntax in a program that needs both .NET and windows.h?
Advertisement
a) .NET 2.0 is largely compatible with 1.1, but there are some breaking changes. However, IIRC these are few. So no, 1.1 doesn't have to be installed, but remember that the framework is designed for side-by-side installation, and so leaving it installed won't hurt. Plus it'll allow you to run programs that explicitly require 1.1 (and not any other version).

b) Yes you can use 1.1 libraries, and you do not need 1.1 installed. Only one version of the CLR can be loaded at a time, so if you have a 2.0 program using 1.1 libraries, (ideally) the 2.0 CLR will be loaded, and the 1.1 libraries executed under the 2.0 CLR. I say ideally because you can specify the required CLR version in the program manifest.

c) I don't know, but seeing how often-used windows.h is, I'm sure it's fixed with final version.

if you find that you absolutely need the original functionallity of those broken changes from 1.1 in 2.0, you can download an extension to the normal API to cover those changes. It's better just to work around it, though.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement