Level Editor - What language?

Started by
5 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 5 months ago
I am busy writing a basic 2d game with d3d and, not so much a game engine, but a lot of usefull classes as I go. Now I am at the stage where a level editor would be very useful in speeding up the game development. So I decided to write my own. So this is what a want: 1. Something fairly versatile 2. Be able to do 2D at first. 3. However, be easy to later add 3d level editing. Now my delima is what language/gui/api? 1. I am not a fan of MFC .. so let's rule that out 2. Pure DX: PROS: - I know enough basics to be able do it - Has 3d support for 3d level editing CONS: - no GUI (buttons etc.), or let's put it this way the CustomGUI sample for the SDK scares me ... come to think of it most MS Samples scare me. Why can't they make simple samples, like "how to place a button". Unlike, here newbie, here is our interface sample that took us a month to make with lot's of code. You go figure it out. 3. win32 + gdi PROS: - Know enough to do it CONS: - Aagh, slow development - 3D, think that would be a bitch to do? 4. C# + DX PROS: - Sounds like fast development - got GUI CONS: - Very little C# knowledege - Less knowledge on how to dx in c# 5. Oh and let's keep VB out of this Any other suggestions or comments would be useful. Just to help me make my decision PS C++ preferrably
Try, try and fucking try again.
Advertisement
Python, wxPython and pyOpenGL. Python allows rapid development, wxPython is a good GUI system which uses native widgets, and pyOpenGL gives you both speed in 2D and ability to go 3D when needed. Con is that you probably don't know Python let alone any of the libraries, but let me assure you: Learning them is worth the joy.

Python tutorials are good and the language is very easy to learn, wxPython comes with plenty of tutorials ranging from "how to place a button"-code to more advanced, and pyOpenGL is trivial if you know OpenGL.
And the best part is, it's all free.
If you refuse using VB then you use traditional Win32 method along with Resource Editor to handle all the creating windows phase, I used to make traditional Win32 apps with RC as it makes them easier to write code while I don't have to mess up with MFC (I don't really like them). And how about message crackers ? :), it is even easier with them.

Or how about GameMaker ? I hope they allow to make levels then the rest of your work is to declare your own format to use that level.

IMO, VB is a good way in making lv editors, and very easy to learn.

Hth
V@T
--> The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones <--
If you know C++, C# should be pretty easy to pick-up (even if you don't, C# shouldn't be difficult to pick-up if you're already got programming experience). MDX is also pretty similar to DX, though some things work in a different way, but it shouldn't give you any major headaches.

If you want to write unmanaged code, wxWidgets and DX is probably a good route. Getting DX and wxWidgets to work together isn't too difficult, I've written the very basics on an editor (basically it's just a window and a couple of controls, haven't had time to actually write any functionality yet) and didn't have too much trouble getting DX to draw on a wxWidgets window. If you want to do this I can give you specifics.
Ya I'm new to game programming (1.5 years) but, I think it would be best to write your own with the language you already know, for some reason, working with other peoples code can get cryptic fast. In addition, only you know how to call your own structure classes to get a your repair builing to be located where want it (ie: map 32, grid 103,43) Grit your teeth and make your own, well at least that's my plan when I get to where you are.

Good luck and I appologies in advance if this isn't helpful.
BladeStoneOwner, WolfCrown.com
Quote:Original post by Talib
I am busy writing a basic 2d game with d3d and, not so much a game engine, but a lot of usefull classes as I go.

Now I am at the stage where a level editor would be very useful in speeding up the game development. So I decided to write my own.

So this is what a want:
1. Something fairly versatile
2. Be able to do 2D at first.
3. However, be easy to later add 3d level editing.

Now my delima is what language/gui/api?

1. I am not a fan of MFC .. so let's rule that out

2. Pure DX:
PROS:
- I know enough basics to be able do it
- Has 3d support for 3d level editing
CONS:
- no GUI (buttons etc.), or let's put it this way the CustomGUI sample for the SDK scares me ... come to think of it most MS Samples scare me. Why can't they make simple samples, like "how to place a button". Unlike, here newbie, here is our interface sample that took us a month to make with lot's of code. You go figure it out.

PS C++ preferrably

What is a button. Its an area on the screen that when you right or left click on it, it causes something to happen. It can be as simple as a rectangle (2 triangles drawn, and a test for mouse button_down event that then gets the mouse XY coordinates and checks to see if the mouse was within the box screen coordinates.

It isnt too hard to make your own input button mechanism -- where you declare all the buttons for a given context and have callbacks to events that they will trigger if clicked upon. When the context changes you remove those declarations from the active list and post new ones for whatever buttons are appropriate in the new context. A render routine draws all the active buttons.

I did something like that a while ago for a 3D figure animation editor tool and the buttons didnt even have texture -- just text drawn inside line drawn boxes (textures could be easily substituted).

Your own mechanism does not have to be excessively generisized.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement