Isometric not dead yet

Started by
24 comments, last by Zorak 18 years, 2 months ago
I'm not a big fan of 3D strategy games, mainly because I feel it is unnecessary when 2D works fine. I have Civilization 3(2D-Isometric) and Civilization 4(Super uber 3D thingamajig), and I prefer Civ 3 because the game is great looking and it doesn't cripple my computer to play.

So yes, for games like RPGs and strategy games, I think Isometric needs to live on.
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
Advertisement
See games like Sunage are great examples of how 2D can outdo true 3D games. Sure they take a little more to work out, but they look smoother than you could get if you try to do all the math to display stuff as full models. You can also do a bit of hybrid work, using concepts from old and new to get even better stuff.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
I personally like the idea of doing full 3D with isometric perspective (and locked). You can do a lot of more eye candy in that way, without cheating with gameplay, as game mechanics still stay the same as if everything was pixeled.

Don't get me wrong, I tend to focus on gameplay more than on eye candy, but it's like a good cocktail: you need a bit of everything in it, or it simply sucks.
Using your brain doesn't hurt at all.
I just can't imagine playing a 3D game on my cell phone. They'll have to start getting bigger instead of smaller. I don't think that application will ever sail...but I could be wrong. I agree that games coming out are TOTALLY lacking in gameplay.

*SIDETRACK*
Take the recent Star Wars Empire at War game. Everyone talked about it, I saw commercials while watching Stargate (most of you probably saw the same ones!), I had to go to 3 stores to get the last copy even though their system said they were out! I get it home and the graphics are totally great! Yeah, that's it. I get to build 5 ground units and like 10 space units. woohoo. I have to finish the whole game with the same units I had nearly at the beginning. Talk about getting old fast. And the storyline, well I already know that. By the way, for anyone who likes the game, I like it too. It is addictive, but I wish it had a lot more units and buildings. Only 2 things you can build in space, I mean come on.
*END SIDETRACK*

Anyway, I think while the big dogs are out making the top of the line blooming graphics video games, it'll give us indies a chance to make fun ones. Just my 2 cents worth.
Chris ByersMicrosoft DirectX MVP - 2005
Quote:Original post by Supernat02
I just can't imagine playing a 3D game on my cell phone. They'll have to start getting bigger instead of smaller. I don't think that application will ever sail...but I could be wrong. I agree that games coming out are TOTALLY lacking in gameplay.

Using 3d graphics on a mobile can be good. Many phones ship with pda sized screens, and for example sony-ericsson supports two 3d apis on most of its phones (java and mophun). Imho the most important use of 3d graphics on a phone is to make the objects animate smoother. Rendering them realtime instead of storing all possible frames requires less memory and bandwidth on download. The only thing is that the artists have to use low poly models. The original quake and tomb raider games were written for 320x200 displays. Many mobiles out today have the same screen sizes. (sometimes even larger) Since the games were written for low resolution, you can play them on small screens. The same is true for the gameboy micro, which has a very small screen but it's still usable.

Viktor
But when quake 320x200 on a 15" screen you could still see the objects. When you have 320x200 on 2" the objects are far less easy to spot ;)
Domine non secundum peccata nostra facias nobis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement