Sign in to follow this  
Phineas

Math Courses for Games

I'm deciding on one elective course for a Math minor. I'd like to take a course that will help in some way with game programming. What math subject do you think is important for games? Are there any that I haven't considered? Here are the courses I am considering: Game Theory Theory of Positive Integers Linear Algebra II Here are the courses I will have already taken: Calculus I, II, III Linear Algebra Probability & Statistics Thanks!

Hmmm. Kind of depends on what area of games you are interested in. If you want to do physics, then you couldn't go wrong with Linear Algebra II. If you are interested in AI or game design, Game Theory could be good. Not sure about theory of positive integers, but my suspicion is you'd learn a bunch of neat little properties that could be applicable to a fairly wide variety of game programming task. It too might fit into the AI category well. Do you have other choices that you currently are not considering?

Guest Anonymous Poster
I'd vote for linear algebra. If you really, really want to do AI, game theory may be a better choice -- but linear algebra is fundamental to 3d graphics and physics.

I might also reccomend any Discrete Math courses they have to offer. The concepts they introduce are pretty generally useful in any kind of Computer Science. Graph theory, set notation, boolean algebra, etc. These things provide the basis for finite automata and all that crazy CS Theory stuff.

I didn't realize it was useful while I was learning it, but it quickly becomes appearant that those subjects influenced all kinds of hardware and software standards. Terms just make more sense.

MHO, anyway.
jujumbura

Game theory's fun, but not especially applicable to most of game development. (AI uses some of it, of course, but Game Theory is more about economics than anything else.) Linear algebra, even the more advanced stuff, IS useful constantly. Number theory is fun, but probably not much more useful than game theory.