Just how difficult is it to break into the industry?

Started by
13 comments, last by Kylotan 18 years, 5 months ago
Just remember, companies hire many more artists than programmers when a game is in development.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by zeldafreak
1. Just how hard is it to get into the industry? I have heard many conflicting statements, from those saying it is impossibly difficult, and others saying it's easy if you really want to. Is it true that if I try hard and am serious about what I am doing that I will have more-or-less no problem?

If you have a degree, good demos, and are willing to relocate, you'll have no problem. Lack either of those criteria, and you'd better be willing to work double hard on the other ones.

Quote:2. How much will I make? I'm not in it for the money, but will the money I make actually be able to feed me and a family?

If you're in the game industry, you're probably not going to find the opportunity to start a family, never mind feed one. :) That's why I turned down the chance to get into the industry, in favour of a lower-paid job with more reasonable hours.
Quote:Original post by Kylotan

If you're in the game industry, you're probably not going to find the opportunity to start a family, never mind feed one. :) That's why I turned down the chance to get into the industry, in favour of a lower-paid job with more reasonable hours.

Don't know about the industry you work in, but every industry/company I have seen/worked in always wants to pay less. Its a general criteria - If you are willing to work for less, we will pay less. And the working hours are moderately always insane. On deadlines you see sleepless nights, and otherwise you still see some sleepless nights thanks to the management.

And by the way the Call/Contact Centre industry is far worse than the game industry in terms of hours.

The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know
The trick of breaking into the industry is education, of course, making games (not just talking about them on message boards), and stop being a broad game programmer and start specializing in a certain area. This could be graphics, artificial intelligence, physics, etc. You want them to contact you. After doing that, I doubt you'll have to rely on "who you know."
Quote:Original post by CRACK123
Quote:Original post by Kylotan

Don't know about the industry you work in, but every industry/company I have seen/worked in always wants to pay less.

Yeah, the game company offered me a very good salary.

Quote:And by the way the Call/Contact Centre industry is far worse than the game industry in terms of hours.

It's not like that in the UK. Call centre workers are almost all part-time. I think a lot of the full-time jobs in that area were outsourced to your country over the last few years. So, we lose jobs, and you guys have to work ridiculous hours... let's hear it for globalisation! </sarcasm>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement