Generation Ship: Good idea, hard implementation?

Started by
16 comments, last by John Kowawsky 18 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by SilentShaman
...The scope of such a game can take any direction from crew gods to ghost ship.
The direction I am taking is that of cultural evolution...

That is why I like the basic foundational premise of the Generation Ship. There are so many possible directions to take it, both for game mechanics and plot; but oddly enough this area of sci fi has been largely unexplored in video games.

I think as humanity advances further into this century, practical concepts of deep space exploration will become more and more popular. There are too many "Wing Commander" space games based on hyperspace, wormholes, warp drives and such. Too much Star Wars, and not enough thought about how our future in space may actually be.
Advertisement
Also read Genesis Quest and Second Genesis by Donald Moffeit. The second book is most likely to interest you as it revolves around the lives of humans and an alien race living on a space-tree.

I sounds a bit odd, but the books are great and it might just give you some ideas.
Quote:Original post by cyric74
There are too many "Wing Commander" space games based on hyperspace, wormholes, warp drives and such. Too much Star Wars, and not enough thought about how our future in space may actually be.

Yes, the 'Star Wars' type are a bit overdone but give me a good simulation as a lone pilot and I'll jump right in there.

And yet, the challange of applying known Newtonian limitations can produce worthy epics.
Personally, I wonder if it is feasible to use only tin cans on such voyages as the human physique was born in a set rotational pattern with set cosmic influences which no amount of economy based sheilding could adequatly filter.
This leads me to wonder if human systemic failure would prevail if we travelled beyond our 'sphere of influence' and if so, how would we then appeoach leaving those boundaries behind.
Would a huge rock hollowed out help at all by blocking or filtering different patterns.
I make this observation based on some native plants here in NZ.
They die if removed from their habitat without preparation and maintaining their growth orientation in relation to the sun.(Perhaps that happens everywhere).

Then we need to look at the physics of moving such a vehicle and the application of time dilation.
Perhaps thats why 'Star Warsy' games are so prolific, reality can be reinvented.
Well, using this Generation Ship idea would make more of an excellent story to a game versus being a game type so to say. A sim game would make you experience the boredom of such a thing, while lets say a dramatic first person with an interesting story intro would seem a lot more interesting.

But I don't think you could make a game that is based solely on that - more particularly using the story of Generation Ship, and focusing in on some huge event that could potentially destroy the mission.

"We have been boarded by aliens!" and then like millions of kids get slaughtered, and blah blah blah - it could be a bad thing, oxygen supply runs low, plants have been killed, etc...

The whole point of the game could be you avoiding the aliens, boarding the alien ship, blowing it up, and then, end game.

Also for some reason this idea makes me think it should be a female with the lead role.

AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
I like the setting. A lot.
Which genres would work with it is trickier though.
I wouldn't rule out a Sims-style game. It might actually address one of the problems a lot of people had with The Sims. You get bored after a few days, because it's just a big sandbox with no limitations and no direction.
True, that's what attracts some people to the game, but it's also what makes others get tired of it soon after.

I think it could work. Basically, it'd be The Sims, where the environment and the people as a whole matters, rather than just your chosen few individuals.

Quote:
The ship could have an anti-grav scoop that allowed collection of space debris in front of it, and the player channels that raw resource into the expansion of the ship while in flight

Bleargh, that sounds lame. [wink]
Repairing/refining/expanding the ship in-flight is a nice idea, but I think the entire point is that the ship is self-contained. You don't have people popping outside to admire the view, or visit the nearest planet to pick up supplies, so you don't have a big vacuum cleaner attached to the front either, sucking up handy building materials.

Anyway, plenty of other genres would be possible. It could make for an amazing RPG or adventure game. Or maybe SimCity? You could even squeeze in a FPS.

And finally, it would give you the perfect opportunity for a sequel. When they finally reach their destination, you have a perfect setting for a new game. A couple of hundred people to whom planets are some distant legend, whose culture is bound to be way different from what we know (population control would be a damn big factor aboard the ship, and privacy would probably have suffered badly, for example). And what's more, their level of technology might have deteriorated, making colony-building a challenge. Plus of course, they're bound to run up against a ton of limitations because Earth originally failed to plan for some emergency or obstacle.
Quote:Original post by cyric74
Now that I'm done with my 4E4 project, I'm starting to look towards other ideas as a pet project to develop over the next few months. One idea that has always interested me is The Generation Ship.

Basically the idea is that for humans to ever reach new solar systems, assuming we can't get the hang of faster-than-light travel, we'll need to exile small, diverse populations of colonists on large ships that take hundreds of years to reach their final destination. Depending on the length of the journey, many generations of colonists will live, breed, and die knowing only the inside of their ship.

This concept seems like it would make an amazing game idea, IF it could be implemented in an entertaining manner.

So my question to you is: How would you approach the general implementation of a game like this?

My feeling is that a "The Sims"-like game environment could work, except with all the facets introduced by the Generation Ship: Upkeep of the ship, inbreeding creating human defects over many generations, small-scale wars that break out among various ship factions.. Basically the player would be a god-like observer watching over the passengers, manipulating things here and there, then seeing how their adjustments change the resulting generations.

Game ends when your population self-destructs, or reach their home planet. Could even create an expansion of the game where you import your population into a "Sim City" game to see how they do after landing.

What do you think? Lame idea, or potential?

Cute idea -- Instead of the player being 'God' he/she/it would be the ships Computer (Holy Turnabout Batman!!!) and would guide the Ships wellbeing and carry out actions for the inhabitants 'own good'......

The Mission is All.

Because this idea is so wide open with possibility, one thing I'd really concentrate on at the start is what kind of aesthetic sense you're trying to capture. Is the environment the focus (the compelling nature of the ship and how it works)? Is the story the focus? Is the survival simulation such an environment implies important (consummables, weather patterns, gravitational rotation)? Or is strategy and planning, military or civic, the focus? You might even be trying to capture the sense of evolving culture, and what happens to the mindset of the people.

Once you figure out the aesthetic sense you're going for I think you'll be better able to narrow down what gameplay elements to include. Here are some off the wall ideas, some based on books I've read or heard about:

Lakeside The Long Sun: You could have a generation ship gone wrong where the crew have become posthuman/extinct, the colonists have regressed to near digital illiteracy (even worshipping tech), and a single character has to somehow save the day. This would be more a puzzle/action game on a huge scale in a very strange environment.

Civ meets Master of Orion with Greg Bear's Eon for spice: The generation ship could be massive enough to be its own mobile cylindrical planet. The interior could be partly manmade, partly bound to a wormhole which creates an infinite Way stretching through spacetime. You'd gather materials in space in order to pave / terraform the Way. But because its a wormhole linked throughout spacetime, enemy forces could pop into your terraformed land at specific points.

A thousand eyes, ten thousand mouths Don't remember the title of this book, but I read a weird generation ship story where the main character was conned into volunteering for a project which turned him into a brain in a jar. He found himself running the ship, and at first was angry and mistreated the colonists. This caused their tech and social development to decline to the point where they were a danger to the ship. He then had to war with them until, generations later, he managed to make peace. Throughout the voyage he kept having to give them goals, place pressures on them so that they wouldn't decline, aggressively take out socially cancerous elements (like a Satanist terrorist cell), and even hide or defend against hostile alien boarders. As a game, I could see this being a blend of personal interaction and Sim-cultural development, with some RTS combat thrown in for good measure. Might be fun.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I think the same as most responses here:

Good story. Great potential. Need game design.

A sandbox game can be nice, a strategic game too. Depend of what you want. A story is a background: dont define a game.

But I could think of cool ideas to keep in mind when designing the game (some already said, but ill put here anyway):
- limited resources (oxygen, food, maintenance materials)
- fragile environment (need to cultivate plants, maintenance of the ship, rest workers and train them phisically, etc)
- random events (aliens, black holes, generator core leak, etc... Just watch Star Trek :P)
- individuality and plotline (each character with desires and a story of himself)
- internal divergences (factions trying to take over, terrorist group, alien spy, etc...)
- Central computer, helping the player and/or creating troubles (could be the player).
- psicological and physical problems to its habitants.
- variables to each char (stress, loyalty, radiation, weakness, etc...)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement