Sign in to follow this  
cptrnet

game development documentation

My game always seem to get way bloated and out of control because of limited knowledge of planning out what I want, and what I can do to solve problems. I started a text file of problems with my game and what I can do to fix it, now that is getting bloated and I can't find what I need to do easily. I was think about making a program that uses a database or xml to keep each entry i had about the development process, the pitfalls and things that worked. What would you guys suggest? Could you please list the libraries, such as an xml lib, that are good also? Thanks alot.

I am sure there are plenty of applications out there that do this already. I would suggest using something like a Access database or something similar. If you are using VS .Net then there is the tasks tab for you to use for this. You can't really put more than one line of documentation with it, but it is there to server as a reminder of what needs doing.

ace

Quote:
Original post by cptrnet
My game always seem to get way bloated and out of control because of limited knowledge of planning out what I want ... I started a text file ..., now that is getting bloated ... I was think about making a program ...

You want to start another project? Umm, won't that just get bloated, too? I would stick with the text file, and work out the problems before adding even more bloat. You already know the source of the problem. Try making a plan and sticking to it.

Edit: typo

[Edited by - JohnBolton on November 4, 2005 1:20:39 AM]

I guess my stratagy for this is more along the lines of brute force. Stick to coding and less to documenting all your problems because you'll remember the problems when you come across the solutions. Unless you prefer to spend most of your time archiving problems.

As for me, I'm trying to learn everything and I'm still learning. Therefore, correcting a problem which I've pushed through with a work-around sometimes becomes more of a hastle then starting over and getting it right from the start. *gasp* Yes I know that's horrable but it's what I've done after my first year of returning to C/C++. Why? Because I've learned SSOOOoo much that my original code wasn't as dynamic as I needed to continue to push forwards with my game. You know you've hit that point when you have to updated your old code to your new coding style just to find the bug.