help about Editors in Games

Started by
6 comments, last by paic 18 years, 5 months ago
First to say I am making engine in c++. And it is almost done. Now I want to make editors like object editor, map editor, ... What is best solution to make it. One thing that is well known is that map editor has many components (list views, buttons, combo boxes, dialogs). How can I code interface things, to best looking. If someone saw images from Reality engine editors or Unreal editors he`ll know what I mean. Should I use old C++ stuff and coding for initializing window, making components, ... or should I use MFC (i dont like it), or some other solution. I need many components and dialogs in each editor in small coding time.
If you don`t do something, something will do, something to you!
Advertisement
If i was to hazard a guess i would say that the editors are done in either wxWidgets, WIN32 or C#. I believe that you can embedded Direct3D into controls.

This is just speculation though.

ace

I'm using mfc. I don't like it either until I'm half way through my project and the grunt work is done. From there you can add about any kind of control with ease. I doubt c++ interface programming will ever be as simple as vb but MFC will do for now.
My advise is to use .Net. If there's not enough time to learn c# and make it work with your c++ code, there's always managed c++. I came in on a project last year with no knowledge of the product and no previous .Net experience and wrote an editor for it in 3 months. For managed c++, VS 2005 is a lot less quirky, so I'd recommend getting that, as well.
I also tought I should use .net ... but my engine is made in C++. And do you think that making C# wrapper class is good solution or maybe someone has better.
If you don`t do something, something will do, something to you!
I second the MFC point of view. It's quite powerfull, and even if it is sometimes very tricky / difficult to do something, it's worth learning it. You have a lot of tutorials on the web, and almost any control you will ever need.
As a side note, we're using MFC / C++ / DirectX in our company.
I definitely second C#. Visual Studio .NET's Visual Designer is extremely intuitive to use, and you'll have working interfaces in no time, at which point you can concentrate on the functionality.

C++ might have a performance edge, but these are creation tools, so it doesn't matter if they will bench for a less than your game code.
Hmm the problem is that the engine is already written in C++. In case of a world editor or something like that, you need to have the engine implemented IN the editor.

So, my question is : is it easily feasible to develop the editor in C#, and integrate the C++ engine without having to touch its code (for obvious updating reasons) ??

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement