Is it to late?

Started by
7 comments, last by Virii 18 years, 5 months ago
I've already graduated college and I'm heading to a community college before I graduate from there and transfer to a full time college. I love gaming and I love computer programming, I know very basic C++ and very little OpenGL. I graudated high school with a 2.0gpa average and ending my math class in Geometry (passing it so I'd be in Algebra 2). My question is, with my high school education and level of math known, is it to late to start to head towards a Software Engineering degree and Computer Science degree? My main goal is to program games for a living, is it to late for this? If not, where should I begin and what should I take at my community college so that I can major in Software Engineering?
Advertisement
It's never too late.

Just do the degree, there are plenty of maturer students on my course.

GO FOR IT!!

ace
I majored in music composition and business management for the first 3 years of my college career - realized it wasn't what I wanted, and then studied Computer Science for the next 3 years, graduating top of my class. It's certainly possible.

Of course, I've always enjoyed math and computers since I was a kid - so it helped.

You can do whatever you are willing to pay the price for - but it might mean a lot of more college.

Then again, game programming is a bit different than CS. While the CS background helps a lot, it really takes a motivated individual to learn the game stuff. With the internet at your fingers, you should be able to find enough resources for most game programming stuff.

Good luck!
Well is something like Calculus REQUIRED or is it more of a mathmatical logic of thinking, if someone could give me a really advanced example of what kind of math is needed I could judge what kind of math I would need.
I don't think calculus is used that much in CS or game development, but I'm not 100% on that one.
The algebras I'm certain are, and some trig maybe. Depends on how complex you get with it.
____________________________________Spazuh- Because I've had too much coffee
It depends on what area you are going to focus on. If you want to program the gameplay/AI aspects, all you will need is good logic and simple math. If you want to do lower level graphics stuff, you will need linear algebra, trig, and geometry.

In general, the more math you know the better though...
I use trigonometry and linear algebra every day. Calculus gets used four or five times a year. So - yeah math is good. I do graphics programming though.
Quote:Original post by Virii
Well is something like Calculus REQUIRED or is it more of a mathmatical logic of thinking, if someone could give me a really advanced example of what kind of math is needed I could judge what kind of math I would need.

Calculus II [2nd semester, or 2nd half of a year course] is required for really any non-trivial physics (and technically trivial physics too, but those intergrations can be dumbed down to simpler equations). Plenty of other stuff too.
In what way is it all used though? Aside from dimensions and whatnot in graphical/design. I'm talking more programming based.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement