[4E4] #27: Lumixed

Started by
13 comments, last by sinx 18 years, 5 months ago
Image hosted by TinyPic.com This game has a lot of polish. It was the first 4E4 entry I played because it was the first up for download. Note that I have never played Lumines. It looks very good and the music is great. The idea about making a color block of 2x2 or more, with lots of dropping 2x2 bicolored blocks is an interesting twist on the color-matching genre. I have to say I can't get past the first level, how high do you have do get? Also are there any gameplay differences between the two levels. I would like to see more than just a skin (although cool) on the levels. Maybe some special ninja powerups or robo powerups. The lack of a divider on top is a little annoying, and all the action on the screen (lots of movement) can be overwhelming. Also the high score should check to make sure it is not blank before it adds it. The idea that it is skinnable and at least partly moddable thru the XML is intriguing. [Edited by - Boder on November 3, 2005 5:09:01 PM]
Advertisement
The irony with the skinnable part is that you would completely remove the game's relevance to the contest [smile].
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
I did the ninja one and lost, then did robot, then lost, then did ninja again. I was going pretty fast and this popped up:

-Chris
-Chris
Not partly moddable :) TOTALLY modable ( the only thing you cant change is the play mechanics ) but all the text , menus , graphics , sounds , music , levels , animations , are all defined in editable .xml files
as for the difficulty level well its a line in the .xml :) so its editable
if you want to make the game's difficulty level lower open up the robot.xml or ninja.xml file and locate this line ( should be halfway down )

Song bpm = "120" repeat = "8" volume = "255"

change the 8 in repeat to 16 or 32
it will make the bar go 2x as slow or 4x as slow ( making things easier )

so if you want to make things easier and play to the beat of live non-stop techno mix replace the previously mentioned line of code with this

<Song bpm="135" repeat="16" volume="170" file="http://64.236.34.97:80/stream/1004" >

if you want to play to your favorite mp3 use this

<Song bpm="135" repeat="16" volume="170" file="the path to your mp3 here" >

as soon as the modified level loader is available ( in less than a week ) you will be able to play MANY other levels..

Lumixed 4E4 official webpage

check out the game's webpage for a basic modding guide and some preview of levels to come ( you will realise how moddable this is by checking out the other levels). This game should grow into a massive game with tons of levels if people help out by doing their own mods...

as of now you can only change the levels that you have and test it in game but we will release the tools we used to create the levels very soon.

we will host all the levels people will create for free on our webpage.

-comming back to the difficulty level topic-
sorry ive been playing the original game for almost 6 months and playing A LOT of Lumixed 4E4 :) so i can reach level 5 in the robot level and level 3 in the ninja one ( you have to play the song all the way to change level )
I probably mis-judged what should be the standart difficulty level

remember that you have to make big combos to go toward the end of the level.

so if your move only delete 6 tiles it doest help you advance in the level at all.. save it to make combos of 8 or more tiles to go toward the end of the level.

A good strategy is to start combos rigth after the timer bar went over the region were you want to start your combos so you have an optimum amout of time to add more tiles to that combos

we take all the comments you guys give us to adjust the game ( we consider this a Beta )

go there for all the latest news on this project

Lumixed 4E4 official webpage

about the bug ... HHHmmmmm ill make sure Matt ( the programmer ) gets aware of it, but we have had more than 500 downloads off our webpage and its the first " bug " ive heard of... sorry it had to be you :(

sorry for the long post... im kinda passionate about this silly freeware game... im a fanboy.

[Edited by - sinx on November 5, 2005 12:16:58 AM]
Quote:Original post by sinx
remember that you have to make big combos to go toward the end of the level.

so if your move only delete 6 tiles it doest help you advance in the level at all.. save it to make combos of 8 or more tiles to go toward the end of the level.
about the bug ... HHHmmmmm ill make sure Matt ( the programmer ) gets aware of it, but we have had more than 500 downloads off our webpage and its the first " bug " ive heard of... sorry it had to be you :(

Ah yes. I didn't realize about the combos to advance in the level. I was making measly 4 and 6 combos. But actually in the game it says you need to get combos of 10 or more to advance, is that right?

And bug-hunter Boder thinks he found a bug. Reproducible.
:: Open up the game and in the menu move your cursor to the bottom of the screen then click. The menu fades and you can't click on it anymore! [smile]

I would try to make a level but my artist skills are small and I have no experience making music.
HAHA you are rigth dammit :)

i think its because we had the intention to have those icons link to urls but could not incorporate all the features on time :)

yup only doing big combos will let you go foward

HOOO NO!!!!
AND I JUST FOUND OUT THAT MATT DISABLE MODDING !!!! THE RASCAL !!! im going to email him straight off ! :D
i wonder why he made such a move...... AAhh man i was just about to link to easier versions with non-stop techno mix for people to enjoy :(

its now morning in England ill MAKE him activate that before he drink is cup of coffee ;) haha just kidding... but it will be very soon.

get all the news and update rigth here

did you take a peak at what can be done using modding with the exemples on the the games web page :) ?
Quote:Original post by sinx
HOOO NO!!!!
AND I JUST FOUND OUT THAT MATT DISABLE MODDING !!!! THE RASCAL !!! im going to email him straight off ! :D
i wonder why he made such a move...... AAhh man i was just about to link to easier versions with non-stop techno mix for people to enjoy :(

I didn't "disable" modding, I simply didn't add the option to specify the level files. Your best bet is to wait for a new version with a "mod selection menu" which I could possibly find the time for over the next couple of days.

giveblood / Boder: Thanks for your feedback!

I don't know what to say about the crash, I'm embarrassed :(. But as sinx says this is the first crash report in many downloads. I'm hoping your screen grab will prove helpful.

The menu problem looks like an engine bug.. I'm off to report it to the author :D

Matt but i tried overwritting the level files with modified ones and nothing happened ... maybe i was being dumb again and did not do it correctly...

it wouldt be the first time :D

good look contacting the author of the engine ;) i dont get much news from him. hehehe , just kidding Matt.
I occasionally get this bug:

Link to screenshot

It appears to be a problem with combos being formed, but not marked, when the timeline passes over them, and when they have blocks under them get deleted by the timeline. They don't seem to fall like they should at this point, and instead float in the air. It is kind of difficult to do on purpose, so I only managed to get it to happen a couple times, so I am not entirely sure of the conditions that cause this.

Edit: Note that the two blocks under the ninjas elbow on the right side are falling down, but the blocks next to them (above the funky marked ones) are not. It is a bit weird to look at in just a screenshot, but that is what was going on.
arg ! :) thank you very much for taking the time to take a screen shot and report it.

we were aware of that bug but could not fix it on time :)

so we decided it would be an undocumented feature ;) hehe

just kidding we are working on fixing the problem, development on this game is only starting out , we consider it as being a beta version. theres another undocumented feature... the left corner of a combos image , rarely , but sometimes doest disapear when the rest of the combos does. We are working on correcting this.

i was just curious... what are your high scores guys ? ( this will help us adjust the default difficulty level )

hey! i created a sound byte for the sound byte thread migth as well link to it in our game thread too

http://www.dakurv.com/lumixed/Lumixed4E4.mp3

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement