Idea

Started by
2 comments, last by SteevR 18 years, 5 months ago
Hey everyone! I was hoping to get some opinions on this idea. First off, if you haven't played Gem Fire for the super nintendo, then either look it up or don't pay attention to this. I was thinking of remaking GemFire, which is one of the inspirations I had for game design (I am 15, so that is akward to most people), because it had some of the most complex features back in the day. So, some of the attributes would be: -Multiple Modes/Views *maybe* OR Isometric with 3rd person views sometimes -Large, HUGE battle scenes with multiple thousands of soldiers, with a chess like moving scene, or ambush style (herds of people moving from square to square) -Cropping scenes, with the towns your running getting better, perhaps bigger. -Conquering other countries, and having different looks for all the lands. okay, those are a few features. Think of Civilization, with less complexities in evolution, but more like building armies than throwing them at people, taking leaders and such. I haven't put much thought into it, but if I did make it, it would be for Xbox 360, using OpenGL, what do you think? I would *with my team* write a complete new engine. I can come up with some complex designs by monday if you wish. I was wondering if this sounded like a good sketch for a game. And through this major conquer style game, I was thinking of making a 3rd personal warrior mode, to make a warrior in the armies for a Dynasty Warriors style, only with realistic battles. It sounds like a good idea, and though its not completely original, I do think it would be pretty fun. A multiplayer, *8 player* battle online, with multiple armies clashing at the different fronts, yum!
Advertisement
Quote:I am 15, so that is akward to most people
How is this awkward? I don't understand.
Quote:would be for Xbox 360, using OpenGL,

Xbox 360 (Microsoft) and OpenGL do not go together (think more DirectX 9-10/XNA not sure about this though). I would also be surprised (very!) if you could make a game for Xbox 360 at all! You really need the resources of a big company or at least the money of one to get licenses so you can develop for Xbox.

As for your idea, I haven't heard of GemFire. Normally, I would look it up but I'm too tired now.
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
Quote:Original post by DigiDude
Xbox 360 (Microsoft) and OpenGL do not go together (think more DirectX 9-10/XNA not sure about this though). I would also be surprised (very!) if you could make a game for Xbox 360 at all! You really need the resources of a big company or at least the money of one to get licenses so you can develop for Xbox.

Indeed, the XBox360 devkits/licencing cost a lot of money, and will continue to be beyond what you're likely to be able to afford for quite a few years.

You also certainly won't be using OpenGL with it.

As for the idea, I'm unfamiliar with the game and was unable to easily find information on it, so I don't really know the background for your idea, so all I'll say is that you'll probably need to put in some more thought and refine the idea further; figure out how the mechanics of it will actually work.

- Jason Astle-Adams

In terms of the idea, its basically sound from a game mechanics point of view (game design, not programming).

If you restrict yourself to doing this with 2D graphics, and keep the gameplay complexity down, this is the sort of project that a beginner can complete- at least once you're familiar with the ins and outs of programming languages and libraries.

I suppose the best news is that this site has basically all the information you need to learn everything so you can attempt this.
-Steven RokiskiMetatechnicality

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement