Data Driven Game

Started by
7 comments, last by osmanb 18 years, 5 months ago
Hey Everyone, I was wondering if there are other ways of creating a completely data driven game without using tile-based worlds. I have seen a lot of engines using heightmaps for terrain, is there a way to do this in a completely data driven manner? Thanks for your comments!
Advertisement
Yes, DEM is one way to represent terrain. There are also numerous others.
Young Doc: No wonder this circuit failed. It says "Made in Japan".Marty McFly: What do you mean, Doc? All the best stuff is made in Japan.Young Doc: Unbelievable.
What do you mean? It's perfectly possible to have a level based only on polygonal data, if that's what you mean.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Here's an FPS in 96K. Everything is generated procedurally.

I know that it is possible to create a data driven map using polygons. I guess what I mean is how reasonable is something like that to manage.

What I would really like is to:
1. Dynamically create maps
2. Handle physics and collision detection

in a completely data driven engine. Then be able to slap on new graphics systems as the engine becomes older.
For creating maps, look up "procedural content generation".
Its quite reasonable to use polygonal-based maps because even when you use a heightmaps to generate terrain, it ends up making a representation of the heightmap through the use of polygons.
Young Doc: No wonder this circuit failed. It says "Made in Japan".Marty McFly: What do you mean, Doc? All the best stuff is made in Japan.Young Doc: Unbelievable.
Data driven doesn't mean procedural.
He said:
Quote:1. Dynamically create maps

He said he wanted to CREATE maps so maybe I should have written this instead....
Quote:For creating maps, look up "procedural content generation"

But if he just wants to use existing data for a map then he wouldn't be creating a map, he would be using the existing data to draw a virtual version of terrain.
Yes. Rendering data (maps, etc...) are the EASIEST thing to make "data-driven" in a game. Quake 1 stored levels in files. I guess I'm missing the intent of the question. When I think about a data-driven game engine, I think of something where things like AI, scripting, types of entities and their relationships don't depend on code. Unless you've got textures and models stored in your source code ... how is your render data not data-driven?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement