Game Programming In C++ Start To Finish

Started by
13 comments, last by TheOther 18 years, 4 months ago
Okay. This books seems interesting, has anyone here read it? Is it about SDL/OpenGL or Directx? On amazon.co.uk the description says: "beginning with engine creation and 3D programming with Direct3D, the book then moves to animation effects, audio, AI, collision detection, networking, and finalizing the game. A variety of tools are used throughout, including VisualStudio. NET and DirectX" AND in amazon.com it says: "Beginning with engine creation and 3D programming with SDL and OpenGL, the book then moves to animation effects, audio, collision detection, networking, and finalizing the game." Huh? Two different versions? Does anyone know where to find the EXACT table of contents? I'd be much more interested in SDL/Opengl than directx. Information about this book is really hard to track down for some reason.
Advertisement
Here Is this what your looking for?
"Castles made of sand, fall into the see, eventually" -Jimi Hendrix3D Buzz
You can learn much of what you need with patience and a lot of time online and just trying stuff. Try here first.
bah, that was me. What I meant to say was Try HERE first.
Thanks everyone for being patient. :)

Yeah Amazon hasn't updated their pages with the new TOC, so people are a bit confused if it's focused on DirectX or what.

I'll post a TOC right here as soon as I get to my other machine. :)

@TheOther

Can you post when your book is going to be available to purchase? I'm planning on getting this book.
So the book has not been released yet, then?

serratemplar: thanks for the tip! but i always prefer
to have a good book in my shelf. the tutorials are good
for learning something specific quickly, but alone they are not enough for me.

TheOther: are you the author of this book?
If you are, I've got a few more questions for you :D
Hi everyone,

I've PM'd Fruny (forum mod) to see if this is kosher, so apologies in advance if this is crossing any lines. I'm just trying to help out those who've got questions about the book. :)

With that out of the way, here's the TOC:
Chapter 1: Game TechnologiesChapter 2: Design FundamentalsChapter 3: Introduction to SDL and WindowsChapter 4: Introduction to the Peon EngineChapter 5: Game Programming MathematicsChapter 6: Creating an OpenGL RendererChapter 7: More OpenGL TechniquesChapter 8: Scene Geometry ManagementChapter 9: Graphics TimeboxChapter 10: Working With Input DevicesChapter 11: Working With SoundChapter 12: Input and Sound TimeboxChapter 13: Collision Detection and Physics TechniquesChapter 14: Introduction to NetworkingChapter 15: Networking TimeboxChapter 16: Introduction to ModelsChapter 17: Animation and Special EffectsChapter 18: Introduction to the OpenGL Shading Language (GLSL)Chapter 19: Introduction to ScriptingChapter 20: Polish TimeboxChapter 21: Finishing Tips and TricksTechnologies Discussed/Used: SDL, SDL_Image, SDL_Mixer, SDL_Net, OpenGL,                             OpenAL, Lua, ReplicaNet, M3D, 3DS, Agile, CVS

@Sylveste: Feel free to post or PM me any question you have about it.

@eektor (and everyone): The latest publication date I've received is December 15th. If that changes I'll post it here.

I'll also be posting this up on the book's website along with other content updates very soon..hopefully this weekend!

[Edited by - TheOther on November 5, 2005 12:14:23 AM]
Yep, Ive added this book to my wishlist :)
Yeah! I am going to buy this book for sure. Finally someone
has understood that a book going through the basics of
game creation using SDL and OpenGL is an EXCELLENT idea.

But what the fudge is the "peon engine" :D ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement