Step by Step

Started by
12 comments, last by bam104 18 years, 5 months ago
Yo i bin reading thru tutorials for C/C++ for a while now. I wanna start applying it but i have no idea where to start. I dont suppose anyone knows of an online walk thru to creating pong or tetris or sumthin do they? cheers for ya help, Dan.
Advertisement
Well, there are several options for doing graphics. One of the best for c++ is SDL. It can do all sorts of graphics and player input things.

http://www.aaroncox.net/tutorials/2dtutorials/index.html
That website has some nice pong/tetris/other tutorials, but you'll probably want to make some text-based games/programs first.

Just a tip: you'll get better responses on this forum if you don't use too much internet slang.
My tutorial site covers creating a breakout clone using directx.
Visit My Beginner DirectX Tutorials - www.experimentsingameprogramming.com
Actually, there are several good articles on this site that go step by step, you might have to do a little digging though.
Ah excellent. Cheers lads.
Um after battling with this for a bit....i think im gonna go for a txt based game first lolz.

Where should i start?
here's a sample progression of games you can try making that each need more skill than the last:
Text:0)Hello world1)Guess a number2)tic-tac-toe3)Poker4)Text based adventure game, ie:  "pick up dagger"  "look at tapestry"  "attack wolf"2d graphics:5)use graphics and make pong6)breakout7)tetris8)side-scroler3d graphics9)3d pong10)simple 3d level with a few rooms to walk through11)put enemies in level12)animate enemies13)add physics and collision detection

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

iam just a beginer at maya 7 ple i just downlaod it and i have this book for it i need help because in the book it tells me to go to creat poloygon tool then make the figure showen then extrude egdes and then it tells me to go to modify>convert>poloygon to subdiv i do all of this and when i go to click on poloygon to subdiv a waring thing shows up and says that it only works on polygon sufaces so if i could get some help that would be great thx.
Wrong thread AP.

You might to search around a bit for a "step-by-step" explanation.
But programming is about learning, and appling what you learned to solve a problem, in this gase a game.
First you decide on the design of the game, like genre what stats are onscreen, menues, ect.
Then, you could ask yourself how you could accomplish each of those, possibly in pseudo-code (code-formatted English).
Once that's done, you would be better prepared to do or start it yourself and ask for help if you need.
Now I know that dosen't sound as friendly as a step-by-step tutorial. But in the long run you can learn more - you learn your programming limits, from mistakes, ect.

Good luck to ya.
____________________________________Spazuh- Because I've had too much coffee
well i have done hello world lolz :)

whats guess a number?

lemmie guess,

1-The proggy randomly generates a number (lets say out of 10?).
2-Next that number is assigned to a variable (say we call it "prize")
3-Then i need to prompt the user to guess a number right?
4-The guessed number typed in by the user is then also assigned to a variable (say "guess").
5-Then the 2 variables are compared and either a success or fail message comes up?

Um, is that right?

(thanx for your replies btw :))

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement