modem madness

Started by
4 comments, last by benryves 18 years, 5 months ago
Sorry for this post guys but my modem is making me crazy. I have a laptop and my internal modem is an agere system AC97 modem. Now this f__king peripheral give me error 680 "no carrier". Now: The telephone cable is correctly cabled The telephone cable is working I have tried it in 4 different houses I have latest driver I have tested all functionality (ati*) with hyperterminal I have made all updates for my WinXp sp2 I have already tried to reinstall driver I have already tried to deactivate it and back I have already tried x3 init string I have set the right country I have tried with another country I have deactivated "wait for ring-tones" (if I try this the error is "no response from server) I have tried with ,,,, in front of the telephone number I can't hear anything from my speaker Madness. If there is some hardware-hacker-guru in this forum that can help me I will be very happy. Thanks in advance.
[ILTUOMONDOFUTURO]
Advertisement
If it's responding to AT commands, I'd have thought it works - drivers aren't going to help it if you can get that far with it. Have you tried switching between pulse/tone dialing? Fire up a connection in hypertrm to the serial port it's connected to and try ATDT followed by another phone number (eg mobile phone) - if that fails, try ATPT followed by the number.
The only other thing I can really think of is damaged hardware - a broken track/dry joint on the phone socket.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Yes, I've tried all but nothing. I can't hear anything and hypertrm say no carrier. Can it be broken?
[ILTUOMONDOFUTURO]
Sounds like it... if the drivers weren't working or it wasn't installed properly I wouldn't have thought it would respond to anything. Has it ever worked?

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Yes ever. One day suddendly it starts to not respond. It was unplugged from the telephone line so I can't think of some electricity damage from the main line. I'm lost. If it is broken ati commands should not respond...
[ILTUOMONDOFUTURO]
Quote:Original post by bjogio
If it is broken ati commands should not respond...
That's what I mean - it could be that the socket has (physically) broken, so whilst it responds to commands it cannot connect properly as it can't make an electrical connection to the phone line.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement