Sign in to follow this  
drackill

Java read from a file

Hello I'm using the follwing code to read from a txt file. This is just a crappy practice thing I did to play with it. { FileInputStream fin; System.out.println("The Text below is being read from myfile.txt in java folder\n"); try { fin = new FileInputStream ("myfile.txt"); System.out.println( new DataInputStream(fin).readLine()); System.out.println( new DataInputStream(fin).readLine()); System.out.println( new DataInputStream(fin).readLine()); fin.close(); } catch (IOException e) { System.err.println ("Unable to find the bloody file"); System.exit(-1); } Just wondering how I can specify which line to read from rather than having to put System.out.println( new DataInputStream(fin).readLine()); for each line? Cheers I have looked all over but just not had any luck in finding any tutorials or anything like that. Thanks in advance

1° DataInputStream.readLine( ) is a deprecated function. You should be using a BufferedReader object (built around and InputStreamReader object based on the file stream).

2° Call the readLine( ) function once for each line before the line you want to reach.

3° There is no way to skip lines in a file other than reading all lines one after another. The only skipping you can do without reading characters is skipping a given number of characters, using the skip( ) function.

Also: Whether you're wrapping with a BufferedReader, DataInputStream or anything else, you don't need to (and shouldn't!) recreate an object for each reading of a line.