RTS Game Design

Started by
3 comments, last by Drew_Benton 18 years, 5 months ago
I am new to game programming, but I have a good knowledge of C++. I want to make a RTS game(2d or 3d – something like Warcraft) and I am looking for a free Tool Kit or an Engine (I prefer a Toll Kit) that will work on Windows. There are a lot of choices, so can someone recommend me some? Thanks, Zarko
Advertisement
This and this. Neither are free, but are pretty damn close.

Matt
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
Quote:Original post by ZarkoL
I am new to game programming, but I have a good knowledge of C++. I want to make a RTS game(2d or 3d – something like Warcraft) and I am looking for a free Tool Kit or an Engine (I prefer a Toll Kit) that will work on Windows. There are a lot of choices, so can someone recommend me some?

Thanks, Zarko

Have you thought about finding a game that you can just mod? I don't know of any offhand, but that might be a nice route for you to start.
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]
If you decide to go 2D, what I would do is write a simple engine yourself. That's what I did (the most complicated program that I'd written before that was Pong), and I learned a LOT about game engines. What I would do is start really simple, make a simple demo that just draws some bitmaps to the screen, then expand it. You will learn the most that way.

Go to it!
If you want some RTS tutorials, take a look at this thread for the link. They are written for DirectX, but if you go tohugh them, the concepts will be same for any graphics api. You may also want to look at the open source game, Machinations . Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement