Cloth Simulation problem

Started by
7 comments, last by bargasteh 18 years, 5 months ago
Hi there. Well, I'm doing som research for my computer science degree project. My project is a kind of fashion design application, where you cand design cloths, seam them in a real time 3d environment and put it on animated models to wear it. There are a lot of physichs problems to solve. I've managed to make a very powerful algorithm for detecting the collision between cloth and the model. My question is the following: Which is the best algorithm for detecting collision between 2 cloth sheets or a clothsheet with itself. I'm representing clothes as particles connected by springs. The problem is a complicated one because the clothes are morphing continuously, and i cannot use precomputed structures like octrees for detecting collision, and computing them on each simulation step is computationaly expensive. Comparing each vertex with each triangle is also too expesive, because the clothes are very detailied, containing many many vertices. What is your opinion? thanks
Advertisement
Check your email
OpenGl + C++
This is the most promising algorithm that I heard of:
http://gamma.cs.unc.edu/CDCD/

It's a GPU assisted algorithm that can do wonders when simulating extremely detailed cloth.

[Edited by - ury on November 5, 2005 1:16:25 PM]
Quote:Original post by bargasteh
Check your email

Hi. I'm very sorry, but my email address in gamedev profile was old, and i'm not using it for about 2 years or so. Now i've changed it. Can you send that again, please?

ury: thanks alot for the link. it looks really impressive.
Hello meeshoo did you get my email ?
OpenGl + C++
does it need to be email?

im also interested in this.
What I emailed him was this:

I am working on exactly the same project since last year and I had some good results but because this project is large I can not do it all myself.
I have done a CAD system along with lots of research in Collision detection and physics in real-time. I think if we put our knowledge together and help each other under a contract (we can talk about this) then we will have a more professional result, I believe you could be a perfect member if you wish to join, I can send you a demo to show you how far I am and how much we should do. I will discuss the detail in private (email) rather that forum.

Regards

OpenGl + C++
@bargasteh: I was wondering... May I join as well? I can contribute a lot to the project.

Please contact me via e-mail for further info.

Have a pleasant day :).
Segal Arie Technologies - where the sky is NOT the limit!
Quote:Original post by Segal Arie
@bargasteh: I was wondering... May I join as well? I can contribute a lot to the project.

Please contact me via e-mail for further info.

Have a pleasant day :).

What can you offer? Can you send me a demo or something ?
Thank you
OpenGl + C++

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement