How do you "check" bit flags?

Started by
8 comments, last by jflanglois 18 years, 5 months ago
I'm getting stuck at the basics again. How do you check bits in a bit flag? My program successfully iterates through files, but now I'm trying to skip over directories and archives. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/fs/win32_find_data_str.asp Obviously, == is not the right operator. This is what I tried:
FindNextFile(hFind, &FindFileData);
if(&FindFileData.dwFileAttributes == FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE)
{
  FindNextFile(hFind, &FindFileData);
}
- A momentary maniac with casual delusions.
Advertisement
Use the '&' operator to see if a bit is set.
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
if(bitset & FLAG){}
YES! (But it was && [grin] )
(bitset && BIT_VALUE) will always evaluate true unless biset is 0/empty. && is logical. You need & which is bitwise.
if(bitset&&flag) equals to true as long as 'bitset' and 'flag' is not 0

i might not remeber correctly, but i think it was something like if((bitset&flag)==flag)
Explanation:

Say dwFileAttributes is 10010110 binary.
Now, assume FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE is 00010000.

& is the bitwise AND operator, so (1 & 1 = 1), (1 & 0 = 0), (0 & 1 = 0), and (0 & 0 = 0). If you do this on a string of bits, such as dwFileAttributes & FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE, you get:
  10010110& 00010000----------= 00010000

which is non-zero, which evaluates to true upon conversion to bool.

If FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE had been 01000000, then:
  10010110& 01000000----------= 00000000

which is zero, which evaluates to false upon conversion to bool.

jfl.
Quote:Original post by Timjanmannen
if(bitset&&flag) equals to true as long as 'bitset' and 'flag' is not 0

i might not remeber correctly, but i think it was something like if((bitset&flag)==flag)

(bitset & flag) will result in a non-zero value if the flag is set and in a zero value if the flag isn't set. In C++ it would be sufficient to do this:
if(bitset & flag) { }
as non-zero values evaluate to true and zero values evaluate to false.

EDIT: jflanglois's post comes down to the same thing, but is way better
I see now. The problem was it didn't compile with '&' because I was doing this:

if(&FindFileData.dwFileAttributes & FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE)

Instead of:
if(FindFileData.dwFileAttributes & FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE)

.. meaning I was trying to check the address of the find file data and not the data itself, right?
Well, yes and no. It probably failed because DWORD * is an invalid type for operator&. If it were to work, though (i.e. if you had cast the left side to DWORD), then the problem would indeed be that you were ANDing the address of dwFileAttributes with the value of FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE. It would compile, though.

jfl.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement