I am brand new here but I need some help please, thank you.

Started by
8 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 5 months ago
I got "Programming Role Playing Games" by Jim Adams v 8.0 I believe. I have a WIndows XP. But I want to link to some sites to show you what kind of game or games I want to make but, for helping purposes like in my case, are links allowed? Even spaced non-click-on-able links allowed? Don't forget to welcome and greet while staying on topic me please, thank you!
I am actuallyGender Male.
Advertisement
Mr Princess Fairy Woman who claims to be "gender male".

As far as figuring out how to make what you want to make, read the Start Here FAQ. Read all the articles it links to from beginning to end.

You might also want to check out www.genderpsychology.org.
Quote:Original post by frob
Mr Princess Fairy Woman who claims to be "gender male".

As far as figuring out how to make what you want to make, read the Start Here FAQ from beginning to end.

You might also want to check out www.genderpsychology.org.

It is ok I just like to go different sometimes.

Choosing unusual names is one of them.

Anywho well since you posted links, I am gonna
also remember the book I bought
"Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX" by Jim Adams.

Here is what kind of games I want one of my games
to be like.

Here http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/breath-of-fire is one.

Here http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/breath-of-fire/screenshots is 2nd.

Now link me for downloads that'll best suit which numbers
like #1. up there
Now I have a windows XP and I am meaning download sites
that're in the book I said I have
"Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX" by Jim Adams.
Please try not to take offense at any of the following, as I mean it in the kindest possible way.

You can't.

Now, with a bit of time to let the terrible weight of those words sink in, let me qualify that. You can't by yourself, and you can't without years of dedication.

Breath of Fire was made by an experienced team of programmers, artists, map designers, musicians, and sound technicians, led by producers and game designers with exceptional vision. It was monetarily backed by an already-successful company with publishers that were willing to bank on its track record. One person cannot duplicate this.

You can learn to program. You can make small and simple games. You can join an indie team and, with dedication and vision, hopefully come close to something like Breath of Fire. You could also apply at a game development company such as Square and eventually get to be a part of that process. But it does take a lot of time and effort.

You've got a start. Good luck.
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
Frob, that wasn't called for. If you aren't able to help with the question, don't respond. That's a warning.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by TDragon
Please try not to take offense at any of the following, as I mean it in the kindest possible way.

You can't.

Now, with a bit of time to let the terrible weight of those words sink in, let me qualify that. You can't by yourself, and you can't without years of dedication.

Breath of Fire was made by an experienced team of programmers, artists, map designers, musicians, and sound technicians, led by producers and game designers with exceptional vision. It was monetarily backed by an already-successful company with publishers that were willing to bank on its track record. One person cannot duplicate this.

You can learn to program. You can make small and simple games. You can join an indie team and, with dedication and vision, hopefully come close to something like Breath of Fire. You could also apply at a game development company such as Square and eventually get to be a part of that process. But it does take a lot of time and effort.

You've got a start. Good luck.

But you can make a 16-bit RPG oh you must me under
copyright I can't make it exactly like BOF
correct or where do I go to learn programming
like that for a windows XP?

Also anyone else T-Dragon look here or type this in or click on Frob's
StarthereFAQ then scroll until you see something mentioning
16-bit maker then click on it or go here http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/#7 or both thank you anyways!
Step 1. Learn a programming language, making small games (like pong or tetris) and build your way up. After about 5 years you might be ready.

Step 2. Art. Learn sprite and 3d modeling. Keep practicing for a few years. Don't forget audio :)

Step 3. Learn how to organize and run a small team of game professionals.

Step 4. Put together a comprehensive design document.

Once you've got all those steps down you're ready to start. If you can keep your team together after a year or two with a lot of luck and talent you might have something that might be comparable to the snes version of Breath of Fire.

Good luck!
Quote:
But you can make a 16-bit RPG
Also anyone else T-Dragon look here or type this in or click on Frob's
StarthereFAQ then scroll until you see something mentioning
16-bit maker then click on it or go here http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/#7 or both thank you anyways!

"Making it 16-bit" in the case of DirectX refers to the colour depth(the amount of colours on the screen). Old RPGS for the SNES are called 16-bit because the SNES has a 16-bit CPU(where as most PC processors now are 32-bit). On the SNES the graphics are actually 8-bit(256 colours).

Since don't know anything about programming(or even computer concepts) you need to start off with something a lot smaller than an RPG. Just because it's for an old system doesn't mean it'll be easy to remake.
It's remarkable how many people skip over the For Beginners page, but you should definitely read it before you get into any serious gamedev books.
Agreed - i's probably a good plan to stick mainly to that forum until you learn a programming language. Don't worry - there are plenty of knowledgeable people go to that forum to answer questions.

TDragon has some sensible points - it is NOT EASY to make a complete game of any description, for someone starting right at the beginning. Even something like Pong will present a lot of problems - or chances to learn, depending on how you see things.
However, it certainly is possible for a single person to make a great game. If you check out the Contests forum you should find a link to the entries for GameDev's 4E4 contest. The quality varies wildly but some there are very cool.

So don't expect to jump straight into a big game straight away - but with perseverence you can start making small games quite easily. It depends as well if you want to learn 'hard-core' programming with something like C++, or simply want to create some fun games - then something like BlitzBasic or even one of the GameMaker tools may suit you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement