• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rkaganda

undefine reference linker error?

This topic is 4784 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

've been trying to compile and link a projec in dev c++ with 3 files it compiles fine but when it tries to link i get the error C:\Dev-Cpp\projects\winclassproject\main.o(.text+0xb2) In function `Z11MainWndProcP6HWND__jjl': [Linker error] undefined reference to `_ZN10MainWindow9MyWndProcEP6HWND__jjl@20' i declare the function in one (mainwindow.h) as funtion of class MainWindow with this bit class MainWindow { ....other code public: LRESULT CALLBACK MyWndProc(HWND hwnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam); ....other code }; then define it in mainwindow.cpp with this LRESULT CALLBACK MyWndProc(HWND hwnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) { .... } then reference it in main.cpp here LRESULT CALLBACK MainWndProc(HWND hwnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) { return AppWindow.MyWndProc(hwnd,msg,wParam,lParam); } i also reference other member funtions of class MainWIndow with my instance AppWindow and they link fine? (i dont get linker errors when i reference them) i've tried to add to add mainwindow.o to the linker param when i buid but then i end up just getting many mutiple defintions errors the compile log is as follows: Compiler: Default compiler Building Makefile: "C:\Dev-Cpp\projects\winclassproject\Makefile.win" Executing make clean rm -f mainwindow.o main.o winclassproject.exe g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ -c mainwindow.cpp -o mainwindow.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/include" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/backward" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -g3 g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ -c main.cpp -o main.o -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.2/include" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/backward" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/mingw32" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include" -g3 g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ mainwindow.o main.o -o "winclassproject.exe" -L"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib" -L"gdi32.lib" -mwindows -g3 main.o(.text+0xb2): In function `Z11MainWndProcP6HWND__jjl': C:/Dev-Cpp/projects/winclassproject/main.cpp:28: undefined reference to `_ZN10MainWindow9MyWndProcEP6HWND__jjl@20' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make.exe: *** [winclassproject.exe] Error 1 Execution terminated -- aahhhh thx for the help

Advertisement
Quote:
then define it in mainwindow.cpp with this
LRESULT CALLBACK MyWndProc(HWND hwnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
}
You need to add MainWindow:: to the name of the function, else the compiler won't know that you're implementing a function from the class MainWindow:

LRESULT CALLBACK MainWindow::MyWndProc(HWND hwnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
}

is mainwindow.cpp in the project with the main.cpp file? If so, you dont need to link the mainwindow.o file.
EDIT: nevermind, the guy above me got it correct.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!