Sign in to follow this  
iequalshane

Ink/Paint Sketchy Shader (Added Pics and Movies)

Was designing this shader for work. Looking for opinions on the shader and what I should add to this or create next. I'm looking to make a series of realtime non-photorealistic shaders for work. [Edited by - iequalshane on November 6, 2005 3:02:39 PM]

Very good work. Reminds me a little of Dali's Hallucinogenic Toreador!

Could you pose both shaded models in the same orientation, for a better comparison? Not that the effect is unnoticeable or anything. :)

This can't be single pass. I don't know of any way to get that type of pixel jittering unless you've rendered to a texture first.

I could be wrong, I suppose, but I think that would require either an EXTREMELY well tessalated mesh or some sort of PS 3.0 feature I've never heard about.

No sadly I couldn't do it in 1 pass. The outline and fill colors are rendered into 2 different texture targets and then they are combined with an offset and multiplication. This is using PS2.0, no 3.0 features were needed.

Yes, it is really great. Your current experiments look nice too.

Is there any method to allow mesh areas with long sharp areas to have less disturbed shadow lines? Take the forward-posed left shin on the Venus de Milo for example.

Thank you for the repost of the comparison!

Downloading the movies as I type... :)

The noise map just happens to have high values where her arm is. The offset can be modified also my changing the multiplier of the noise map or replacing the noise map with another one. I simply made the noise map quickly in photoshop because I didn't have any good noise code offhand. Currently the outlines are based on the a surface-normal dot camera-vector with an adjustable tolerance but other methods could be used to create the outlines. Also, there are 2 different multipliers for the offsets of the outline and fill color, so the outline can be made to look less disturbed.

I get 30-50 FPS on my Geforce 6600GT 128meg(AGP 4x) ad I max my v-sync on my Quadro FX 4400 512meg(PCi Express). I've been too busy to make any changes to the code reciently, but after my exam at 2:30 I'm going to turn this into 2 passes instead of 3 and make it a bit quicker. Maybe I will post an interactive demo for everyone to play with soon after.

Anyway, I have to go study for a couple hours, thanks for the comments :-)