Sign in to follow this  
etothex

[.net] VS2005 beta 2 won't start

Hey guys, I just downloaded VS2005 off msdn and installed it, and it came up with an error about installing .NET 2.0 SDK Beta. (presumably because I already installed the final .NET 2.0) So I ignored it and it finished installing. Now when I try and start VS it shows the splash screen for a split second, then disappears and quits. No indication anything is wrong, just quits. I'm doing repair/re-install now but I don't think that will help. Anyone know what could be wrong? I rebooted after install.

I've tried running the Visual C# Beta 2 with the final .NET 2.0 and it wouldn't work... when I switched back to .NET 2.0 beta 2 it worked fine so I assume there's some major change between the two or Microsoft only made the beta VS's work with the beta .Net Frameworks.

So you either need to use the Beta VS with the Beta .NET Framework or the Final VS with the Final .NET Framework.

Quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
What she said. VS is tightly bound to a specific version of the framework, so you can't mix and match like that.

Well, that's odd. I mean, isn't VS a .NET app? So what would be so different about running it on different versions of the framework?

Quote:
Original post by etothex
Well, that's odd. I mean, isn't VS a .NET app? So what would be so different about running it on different versions of the framework?

If you have a dependency on mscorlib.dll version 2.0.3333, mscorlib.dll v 2.0.2222 just won't do. Between the beta and the release, lots of things changed in the framework and in internal libraries used by VS. Classes were renamed, some were deleted, others added.

The final version of VS ran fine once I uninstalled Beta 2, both on my work machine and my laptop.

There's a tool to help uninstall beta versions on MSDN. I have it on my laptop if you can't find it and want me to email it.