Making an undeleatable folder?

Started by
18 comments, last by Nice Coder 18 years, 5 months ago
I was thinking of a way to make an undeleatable folder. Currently what i have: (using Cmd.exe) Attrib "Folder" +h +s Cacls "Folder" /P Me:F This is for winxp. (i'm going to try and store it on a win Nt file server). This should work okish, but what i'm not sure about it is how well it'll work. (i would also know how to make it invisible). From, Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Advertisement
The only way to make an undeleteable folder is to log on as a different user, create the folder and make it read-only to other users.

That way, other users cannot modify it (and therefore, cannot delete it).
I have my own user account.

It is, however not a network adminstrator.

I would prefer if the network administrator could neither see that it exists, nor access it or deleate it without great effort.

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Quote:Original post by Nice Coder
I have my own user account.

It is, however not a network adminstrator.

I would prefer if the network administrator could neither see that it exists, nor access it or deleate it without great effort.

From,
Nice coder

Unfortunitly for you NT wasn't designed to do what you want. Even if you did create a folder with another account the admin could just click "take ownership". Short of installing a rootkit I don't think it's possible in any effective way.
Patrick
Hmmm. This is why i was thinking of making it invisible.
How do you destroy something you don't know exists?

From,
Nice coder.
Administrators of boxes used by many people usually restore the entire disk of machines (except the user-owned parts) to its initial state. And if you created folders in your own account, then the administrator is bound by privacy rights not to delete them unless you did something illegal (at which point you'll get into even more trouble if you went to the lengths of hiding it).

This only holds for actual administrators. If you are just talking about a folder on a machine administrated by your parents, then you first must explain why that folder would be deleted. Simple solutions, such as zipping the folder and reming the file to something benign, can hide the folder in plain sight, but the folder will as usual be deleted if someone destroys the entire tree it is in.
This is for a rather largish network. (they basically wipe it once a year to get rid of the junk that builds up).

As for what it is, it'd probably be used for games, chat progs, ect. Just stuff for me and my friends to use (i don't like having that sorta stuff in plain view.)

From,
Nice coder
I just tested something.

When i set attrib +r +h +s and the folder simply dissapeared. (the defult is to hide hidden and system folders).

It didn't appear in dir's either. (nifty).
I can, however acces it if i directly type in the name. (or via a shortcut, or a cd). Attrib can also see it, but some caclsing could help.

I have an administrator account with my local machine (which i tested it on), and this really would come in handy.

:-) either way, this would help keep my stuff out of prying eyes.

/me goes looking for some nice encryption software. (worst comes to worse, i make my own).

From,
Nice coder
You could always name the folder something that looks like "System Volume Information" (change an L to a one or something like that) so the admin will think it's actually part of the system maybe. Also, you could normally keep it set to the same permissions as the real SVI folder:
cacls "Folder" /P System:F

And then only temporarily change the permissions (as file owner, you can always do so iirc) to your username, get the data, then put it back:

cacls "Folder" /P %UserName%:F /D Administrators
copy ...
cacls "Folder" /P System:F
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Hmmm. The only problem is that since it is a network drive i can't do that....

But for games on single comps, that would quite seriously come in handy.

Great idea :-)

From,
Nice coder

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement