Best rendering mode for a top down RPG

Started by
3 comments, last by deavik 18 years, 5 months ago
Should I use glOrtho for making a top down rpg? Or would it be better to use the normal gl rendering mode.
If it's possible for us to conceive it, than it must be possible.
Advertisement
I myself am making a top down rpg type game using openGL in 3d, not ortho.
If you are making a 2D game I would suggest you use the following functions to set 2D mode:
void glEnable2D(){	int vPort[4];	glGetIntegerv(GL_VIEWPORT, vPort);	glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);	glPushMatrix();	glLoadIdentity();	glOrtho(0, vPort[2], 0, vPort[3], -1, 1);	glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);	glPushMatrix();	glLoadIdentity();}void glDisable2D(){	glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);	glPopMatrix();   	glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);	glPopMatrix();}

I got these from someone on these boards, though I've forgotten who...
____________________________________________________________Programmers Resource Central
If you're using sprites and everything will be in 2D use glOrtho. If you're using 3D models and viewing them from above then use the GL_MODELVIEW matrix mode.
Quote:Original post by Tera_Dragon
I got these from someone on these boards, though I've forgotten who...

I believe this is what you are looking for. Never hurts to pay homage to a nice post!

@Zmurf, if you ask me for an opinion as the user, I think rpg's look good with a nice 3D perspective (but that's just my view of it, you should go with your instincts [smile]).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement