Sign in to follow this  

Elevators in Reversed Gravitation

This topic is 4405 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do you make an elevator on a planet with reversed gravitation? Let me explain. Let's say that gravity was reversed, and a person could stand upside-down on the ceiling. Then there was an elevator that went DOWN. Would the person be upside-down as they are riding the elevator? They would have to jump off before they reached the end or the force of the elevator would be pushing them toward the floor, right? But wouldn't jumping off the elevator cause them to float back to the ceiling? The only exception I can think of is if the person had something to grab onto, but pulling yourself DOWN onto a ledge would probably be difficult in real life. Well, it will be interesting to hear your thoughts on this [smile].

I would imagine if you had an elevator in reverse gravity it would work just like elevators here on earth except upside down.

Indeed, as SiCrane said, it would work exactly the same...

The person would walk from thier position upside down on the ceiling of the room to the ceiling of the elevator (may require climbing over a ledge if the elevator has been designed for normal gravity - if gravity were always inverse it would be designed to deal with it), and then would travel down (which would be up from thier perspective really), and get out onto the ceiling of the room of the lower level.

See, no issue.

Sounds interesting. I suppose the elevator cable would be bolted to the surface and pull the elevator toward the ground. Other than that, it would be exactly the same.

I would be more interested in knowing how to build an elevator in reversed gravity. Or the building itself. Talk about hazardous work. One slip and you fall into the sky. In fact, how exactly does the planet itself stay together with such physics? :P

Quote:
Original post by someboddy
Elevators work using a cable. So if the gravaity is suddenly reversed, the elevators won't work, since cables can only pull, not push.

Cables can't pull, either. They just sit there and do nothing. As I understand elevator mechanics, the actual work is performed by a motor and a large counter weight. With minor modifications, I can easily see a cable elevator being usable in both 'normal' and 'reverse' gravity with no fundemental changes to how the elevator operates.

Obviously, if gravity on earth just suddenly toggled, elevators would be out of commision. But that's just because we have no reason to design for that particular circumstance...presumably, engineers in this alternate reality do have to consider this and will design their elevators accordingly.

CM

We know that all matter pulls other matter. Now, what about using anti matter. In the real life, anti matter destroys matter on impact. I the game, however, the diffrance between matter and anti matter will be with gravity. Matter and matter will pull each other. Matter and anti matter will push each other. Anti matter and anti matter will pull each other. Think about it as reversed magnets.

If you want to build a matter building on the surface of an anti mater planet, you will have to use strong hooks. Another way is to charge a heavier than the building anti matter mass with a strong magnetic charge, and another mass made out of matter with an opposite charge. The matter magnet will be attached with the building, and the anti matter magnet will be attached to the planet. The two magnets will be attached to each other, and the bulding will stay on the planets surface.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
If you want to build a matter building on the surface of an anti mater planet, you will have to use strong hooks.

But what do you build the hooks out of?

Yeah, that would work, but how do you get the hooks in there? And why wouldn't the forces just rip the hook out? You'd have to augur into the anti-planet's core and set a foundation, but how would you get there? You'd need a vehicle made out of 50% matter and 50% anti-matter, so it could fly up there in zero-G and drill the hole, then use the same 50-50 alloy for the hooks. That would be the way to go.

Also, wouldn't the anti-gravity become greater the closer you got to the surface? Depending on te distances you're handling, the counterweight on the elevator could get screwed up pretty badly by being too far from the surface. I think the 50/50 matter/anti-matter alloy would be the ideal solution for just about every problem you'd encounter. If everything was composed of that stuff, the only real effects would be on the characters, which is probably the whole point.

Or you could use anti-matter as a ballast to weight you down.

For example, if the planet has oceans of anti-matter water, then you can launch something like a bucket or a balloon with a pump on it into the ocean so that it gathers up more mass than what you plan to move to the planet. When you anchor the ballast to the oceans floor all you need next is a really long, super strong cable that reaches out into space where you can attach a space-elevator car.

The space-elevator car would just haul itself and its cargo to the planet (probably using magnetic fields on the cable) that would give you an easy way to the surface.

On the planets surface, any atmosphere or water would help push down on the equipment, so it might not be neccesary to keep an equal amount of anti-matter ballast on everything. For buildings, it would probably be good to use caves or build as much of them as possible from local material (to cut on the cost of transporting matter to the planet) and to make it less likely for things to fly away into the sky.

Though having material that falls "up" instead of down would require whole new stratagies in architecture. The plumbing alone would require some serious thought.

Oh, and I think if something was made of a 50/50 matter/anti-matter alloy and was made weightless then bouyancy would still be in effect so things could still fall of float as the case may be.

If the air is anti-matter, the air molocules would want to fall to the ground an would push the weightless object so that it floats upward (like a balloon but perhaps with more inertia)

If the air is matter the same effect would happen in reverse, the air wants to go "up" so it pushes the weightless object downward.

I suppose bouyancy could be your friend or your enemy depending on the circumstances.

It would work exactly the same way that elevators work in australia.

Technically speaking though, even if there were such a thing as 'negative' gravity, a planet with negative gravity could never form, let alone remain in one piece or hold an atmosphere.

Quote:
Original post by Sandman
Technically speaking though, even if there were such a thing as 'negative' gravity, a planet with negative gravity could never form, let alone remain in one piece or hold an atmosphere.

The planet will form, because neuton's law of universal gravity is not suddenly reversed. The planet is made out of a fictional anti matter, therefore it have negative mass. All the objects on that planet are also made out of anti matter, and have negative mass. Therefore the gravity force between the planet and any anti matter object on it is F=GMm/R² => F>0 => regular gravity. However, the human settelers who come to this planet have a positive gravity, therefore F<0 => reversed gravity. Only matter made objects suffer from the reversed gravity.

We ignored the simplest solution to building on a reversed gravity planet: building the buildings and the cars out of anti matter!!!

Quote:
We ignored the simplest solution to building on a reversed gravity planet: building the buildings and the cars out of anti matter!!!

The settlers could wear anti-matter boots.

Of course, real anti-matter does not have 'negative gravity' or 'negative mass', and has this neat feature of annihilating when it comes into contact with normal matter, but it's starting to sound like this is make-believe physics we're talking about. In which case, anything goes I suppose.

If you're coming up with a new class of matter, might I suggest coming up with a new name for it? Calling it "antimatter" is either going to confuse people, or annoy them. Or both. Either way, it looks really silly to anyone that has even a passing familiarity with currently accepted theories regarding antimatter.

Actually, since the elevators are hanging from cables, if gravity were reversed the elevator would "fall" to the top of the building with the same effect as having an elevator come untethered and falling to the bottom of the building: zoom crash MEDIC!!!

Quote:
Original post by Tesseract
Actually, since the elevators are hanging from cables, if gravity were reversed the elevator would "fall" to the top of the building with the same effect as having an elevator come untethered and falling to the bottom of the building: zoom crash MEDIC!!!

Not if the elevator is hanging from the bottom [lol]

Lot of confusion in here. I would be really interested to hear what the OP is implimenting, though.

It would not be difficult to design an elevator that runs the cables from the bottom of the elevator, around pullies to the counterweight as well as from the top of the elevator. This approach could be run right side up or upside down...

Once you're in-doors, is there really anything at all different about reversed gravity? Once you've bolted your building sturdily to the ground, everything from there is identical to normal gravity construction. You just have to remember that the roofing is against the ground, rather than the floor. But game-wise, how would the player even be able to distinguish between the directions of gravity? I mean, unless you plan to render with the view flipped over. But then wouldn't it be easier to just turn the camera upside-down? :P

Maybe my understanding of anti-matter is a bit warped, but wouldn't the anti-matter explode and release a huge amount of energy when in contact with matter? So a 50-50 alloy would be impossible.

Guest Anonymous Poster
If a planet would have a Reversed Gravitation then for the one who stands on the ceiling, the ceiling would actually be the "ground" thus it would mostly work the same way as if the elevator would be on the ground and would push you to the ceiling or to the next platform (Which would be another ceiling rather than another ground).

So unless you have another ceiling to work as ground for the object (Person or anything else), you would have that same object be pulled back.

My idea is to have an elevator that works similar to a hovercraft. It would have an engine that propels air in the opposite direction that it is moving in order to push it up/down. It would have enough speed to break the force of gravity when going in either direction, and would be operated by a simple control panel with controls for going up/down. The way it would know it has reached its destination is by laser signals directed at each stop, via a control station at each location

Getting off the elevator would be easy since the platforms would be level with the person's feet, just like with most elevators [smile]. The safety that this elevator has is only a harness to strap the rider in, and an optional mask that covers their eyes in case these rides make them feel nauseous, since there is an open view of everything that is in front of them. But that wouldn't be much worry since the elevator would only be traveling something like 60 M.P.H. up or down.

Finally, the elevator would be powered by a battery. It wouldn't be so much the power of the battery as it was how efficiently this futuristic elevator would use the power.

@ Kest I'm still trying to figure out the best way of implementation myself, but I was planning on having devices that could control spaces of gravity, maybe like what was done with one of the space levels in Sonic Adventure 2 near the end of the game, where there were controls for inverting gravity and you had to use them to advance through the level. I realize now that it might be a little difficult to implement an entire planet that has reversed gravity, simply because when the player gets out of the space ship, they would float into space. I suppose that this problem could be solved if the space ship was landed upside-down on the ceiling of a space station, but there would still have to be a device that could generate normal gravity inside of the ship.

This topic is 4405 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.