Get access to an external program's surface

Started by
1 comment, last by denlecouscous 18 years, 5 months ago
Hello, We are currently trying to draw some directdraw surface on top of a surface belonging to another application, i.e. we want to draw something on screen when a full screen game is running. This is possible, to my knowledge, at least two programms are doing it : teamspeak overlay and XFire. After looking around for some weeks, we haven't find any solution. At this time, we are not highly skilled concerning directx stuffs, but if we can get a reference to the game's surface it should allow us to draw some overlay on top of it. In case you've got a hint (or maybe even better a solution ;-) ), you are really welcomed ! Thanks.
Advertisement
AFAIK, there are two ways of doing this:

(1) Using DirectDraw, like you mentioned. I've never done this, but I know that Coder has. If he doesn't see this thread at some point, try PM'ing him about it. Searching may (or may not [crying]) turn up the thread I remember him stating that in.

(2) Using D3D, which many current overlay programs use. Check out this KBase article I wrote about it. Also, if you want working code, try finding the one for GTA: San Andreas - I've heard it does the same thing.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Thanks for this ultra fast reply!

I'll check this immediately :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement