Sign in to follow this  
SirLuthor

A multithreaded wrench in the works..

Heya folks, if I may be so bold, I would put some questions (well, 1) to you esteemed folks, regarding multi-threading, in general. I am most vexed, and, being who I am, I have no idea where to start looking for information on the subject fit for the single-threaded man (in case you haven't noticed, what MSDN has to offer on multi-threading and synchronization isn't exactly single-threaded programmer friendly..). So, questions. Anyway, here's the deal. I'm (intending to be) adding in multi-threaded support in my engine from the very beginning, so as to avoid having to hack it in later when I need to use it for some purpose.. To this end, I have been looking around for resources on the subject, suitable for a newcomer to multi-threaded computing, but have not found any. So if you know of any good ones, and could point them out to me, I would be most obliged. I saw a 4 part blog post a while back, I believe, that was talking about multi-threading, and some implementation stuff, but I seem to have lost the link to that. Also, I seem to recall atomic operations being usable in inline assembly.. Is there some good reference any of you know where I could find a list of ASM instructions? Or, even better, though perhaps off topic, just a good assembly reference [grin] Thanks!

I'm not sure how useful this would be to someone with C++ or similar background, but when I was researching multi-threading a little while back I found the following resource extremely useful: Multithreading - The Delphi Way.

It's written in a very clear and concise way, and explains everything from the complete basics to some more advanced topics. I found it a great overview of multithreading techniques, since it provides many examples along the way and analyses each of them for possible problems/dead-locks/... I also used it extensively while writting my (first) multithreaded timer.