• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SiriusBlack

ray-triangle intersection (problem with c code)

This topic is 4613 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have tried Moller and Trumbore's fast ray triangle intersection code in my study (http://www.acm.org/jgt/papers/MollerTrumbore97/). As a c code, it worked well and I converted it into matlab. But it gave inconsistent results with its matlab counterpart. I realized that the problem is related with the differences in array indexing of matlab and c, since array indexes start with 0 in c and 1 in matlab. (I have used the matrix indexes as x and y coordinates and heightmap values az the z coordinate) Well, the code says, although the x & y coordinates change consistently in each dir, orig, vert0, vert1, vert2 arrays, different results will come out, while my logic says the fact that whether a ray intersects a triangle must not change if x & y coordinates change consistently in the above mentioned arrays. I just can't figure out what is wrong. Thanks. /* Ray-Triangle Intersection Test Routines */ /* Different optimizations of my and Ben Trumbore's */ /* code from journals of graphics tools (JGT) */ /* http://www.acm.org/jgt/ */ /* by Tomas Moller, May 2000 */ #define EPSILON 0.000001 #define CROSS(dest,v1,v2) dest[0]=v1[1]*v2[2]-v1[2]*v2[1]; dest[1]=v1[2]*v2[0]-v1[0]*v2[2]; dest[2]=v1[0]*v2[1]-v1[1]*v2[0]; #define DOT(v1,v2) (v1[0]*v2[0]+v1[1]*v2[1]+v1[2]*v2[2]) #define SUB(dest,v1,v2) dest[0]=v1[0]-v2[0]; dest[1]=v1[1]-v2[1]; dest[2]=v1[2]-v2[2]; /* code rewritten to do tests on the sign of the determinant */ /* the division is before the test of the sign of the det */ /* and one CROSS has been moved out from the if-else if-else */ int intersect_triangle3(double orig[3], double dir[3], double vert0[3], double vert1[3], double vert2[3], double *t, double *u, double *v) { double edge1[3], edge2[3], tvec[3], pvec[3], qvec[3]; double det,inv_det; /* find vectors for two edges sharing vert0 */ SUB(edge1, vert1, vert0); SUB(edge2, vert2, vert0); /* begin calculating determinant - also used to calculate U parameter */ CROSS(pvec, dir, edge2); /* if determinant is near zero, ray lies in plane of triangle */ det = DOT(edge1, pvec); /* calculate distance from vert0 to ray origin */ SUB(tvec, orig, vert0); inv_det = 1.0 / det; CROSS(qvec, tvec, edge1); printf("det:%f\n",det); if (det > EPSILON) { *u = DOT(tvec, pvec); printf("u:%f\n",*u); if (*u < 0.0 || *u > det) { printf("*u < 0.0 || *u > det\n"); return 0; } /* calculate V parameter and test bounds */ *v = DOT(dir, qvec); printf("v:%f\n",*v); if (*v < 0.0 || *u + *v > det) { printf("*v < 0.0 || *u + *v > det\n"); return 0; } } else if(det < -EPSILON) { /* calculate U parameter and test bounds */ *u = DOT(tvec, pvec); printf("u:%f\n",*u); if (*u > 0.0 || *u < det) { printf("*u > 0.0 || *u < det\n"); return 0; } /* calculate V parameter and test bounds */ *v = DOT(dir, qvec) ; printf("v:%f\n",*v); if (*v > 0.0 || *u + *v < det) { printf("*v > 0.0 || *u + *v < det\n"); return 0; } } else { printf("/* ray is parallell to the plane of the triangle */\n"); return 0; /* ray is parallell to the plane of the triangle */ } *t = DOT(edge2, qvec) * inv_det; (*u) *= inv_det; (*v) *= inv_det; printf("at last\n"); return 1; }

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!