Sign in to follow this  
ThoughtCriminal

C# syntax guide. Using the core libary.

I'm not a beginner to programing, but I am to C#. Now that 2.0 is here, I want to start learning. I'm looking for a syntax guide. Something I can use when I look at any tutorials. Next is finding functionality in the System namespace. There is a lot of stuff in there, any tips to make finding what one wants easier. I've tried interop with 1.x. Thats easy. Is it better to use interop, or look for what I want under System? Thanks.

Quote:
Original post by ThoughtCriminal
I'm not a beginner to programing, but I am to C#. Now that 2.0 is here, I want to start learning.

I'm looking for a syntax guide. Something I can use when I look at any tutorials.

This would probably be your best bet

Quote:

I've tried interop with 1.x. Thats easy. Is it better to use interop, or look for what I want under System?

If the functionality is present in the standard library, it's almost always preferrable to use that instead of doing interop. Interop will not (usually) be portable to other implementations of the CLR, and it might not even be allowed when running your app in certain scenario where you don't have full trust (ie, when running from a network share, running from the internet etc).

Thank you.

I'm used to using APIs. I found System.IO. Which I guessing contains the API equivilent of CreatFile or ReadFile, etc.

I'm suprised there is no System.Memory or some such, as I would like to find an equivlent functionality for VirtualAlloc.

Is there any list of Windows APIs and their C# equivlents?